[11] Until the Seagulls Drown My Voice (1/5)

𝘌𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘪𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘙𝘦𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘣𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯.

It had been around three months since the new seating arrangement, and Gu Xiao's behaviour was appearing strange from the teachers' perspective. He was now sleeping five minutes less in class.

"Do you still have the second edition of the math textbook?" Gu Xiao asked, setting down the stack of boxes filled with textbooks.

Zhang Yongyin shoved an apple core into his mouth and slurred each word. "It should be at home. I accidentally bought three, so you can just have one."

"How do you accidentally buy three?"

"I just did. Wait, do we need to carry the third edition biology textbooks back or was it the first?"

"I don't know. Just take it all. That way, we won't need to make a second trip back if we pick the wrong one."

"That's true. What if other classes need them?" Zhang Yongyin asked.

"Then they can search."

As they left the back building carrying textbooks, the gruff voices from the corner of the building echoed in their ears.

Usually, he wouldn't care for what they were gossiping about, but this time, their words rang in his ears like the annoying mosquitoes in the summer.

"Who does Lan Yuning think he is?"

That was Wang Xing's voice. How could he not recognise that distinct voice that ridiculed Lan Yuning just a moment ago?

"Just because his parents offer and contribute the most money to this school, he thinks he can just act stuck up and ignore others. But being with him has some benefits, though, since he's filthy rich. Too bad he's stingy," his friend added.

"You know what? I once sat next to him before class started because I just wanted to talk to him, and he just glared at me and told me to leave. Does he think he's on some pedestal above everyone else just because he will inherit his father's company? How can he own a business with that attitude?"

Zhang Yongyin's eyes drew towards Gu Xiao, who was facing the two. He blinked, and by the time he even finished blinking, Gu Xiao had disappeared from his side.

"He probably talks crap about everyone in his head. How can Song Anwen even stay with him? He's just too nice that I feel so sorry for him. I provoked him a little bit because I just wanted to see if the rumours were true, but I didn't expect him to react in such a way," Wang Xing said.

"I heard that his father goes crazy if he loses more than one or two marks in an exam. Do you think he sucks the principal's thing?"

Wang Xing gagged. "That's so gross. He probably sucks the principal if he doesn't get full marks on an exam! I mean, his face isn't that bad. He has a rather nice appearance, so I wouldn't be surprised."

"Why? Would you let him suck your—"

Abruptly, a textbook plunged forward, and the corner of the laminated cover stabbed Wang Xing's face, forcing him to fall back and groan in pain. He whipped his head around before landing at his palm, only to see his skin swallowed in red and his cheek bleeding from an open wound.

"Who was that?!" Wang Xing's friend shrieked.

"Who the hell do you think you are to talk about him like that? Don't you always crowd around him yourselves?" Gu Xiao ridiculed.

"Gu Xiao? Why is it you again? Wait— My face!"

Just as his friend steadied him up, Wang Xing mumbled, "He always behaves like this. Let's go."