Chapter Seventeen

I WAS NERVOUS.

Anxiety wrapped around me like a silk cloth, invading my mind and body. It whispered into my ear, telling me that nothing was going to go right, that I was going to fuck something up. It made the hairs on my arm rise, and I could feel the cold sweat running down the back of my neck.

I walked down the empty streets which resembled an unfinished painting. So much of the canvas was still perfectly white, as if waiting for the artists hand to return. The evening light struggled through the murky clouds, but even in its weakness, it was enough to blind. I had walked these streets my whole life; I knew them just the same as if they were etched in my head with a sharp knife. These were the streets I grew up on, and for the most part I was calm here.

Not tonight though. Tonight, all my heart wanted was to beat out of my chest.

I clutched the small bag in my hands, looking down at my phone before frowning. Had I gotten the right place? In front of me, stood Appalachian Children's Home, a small orphanage that was well-known around here.

The paint on the door, over the soft wood was flaking and peeling at random depths, showing different sun-baked hues underneath. The windows were painted a grey-brown, inviting everyone to see the settled dust, even at a distance. Around it was the red brickwork, perfect beneath the dirt of years and rising upward to the sky and cloud.

Looking around, in the middle of the yard was an apple tree. The bark had a sort of creeping mildew and the leaves were curled in an unhealthy way. It bore apples of sort, some even with a pink blush. There was a circular lawn with a path around it. Outside of the lawn area, were four rose bush beds to fill up the square area.

Staggering forward, I made my way up to the door. Looking around, I slowly raised my fist to knock on the door before stepping back. I cleared my throat nervously. What if I had gotten the place wrong?

Shuffling and the slamming of a door was heard on the other side, and just as the door creaked open, the silence of the place was broken by the excited scream of child, running out between the small crack.

"Simon, no!"

Natalia's distressed face whipped past me as she chased after the small child shouting in delight. He jumped around, weaving in and around the bushes.

I stood, stunned, by the door, watching idly. Blinking, I watched as he giggled, sprinting around the small garden. His hair was the colour of sun-bleached wood, some dark streaks peeking through but the pale brown dominated.

"You little rascal," I heard her huff as she caught onto his upper arm. "I told you, no more running out every time someone comes to the door!"

The small boy pouted, but I could see the excitement playing in his eyes. "Sorry Nat."

Natalia tried to keep the frown on her face, but eventually couldn't stop the smile that broke through. "Yeah, yeah. Come on now, you know Mary will get cross if you're out here for too long."

She tugged on Simon's hand, leading him back up the porch where I was still standing, and ushered the small kid inside.

"Hey Trevor," She grinned up at me. "Sorry about that. I didn't think you would actually come."

Her large, liquid brown eyes held such an intelligence and serenity that it was impossible for me not to be held prisoner by them. Her cheekbones weren't especially high and her nose was a little too long to be perfect, but there was undeniable symmetry to her features and perhaps that's what held me so captivated. It was all I could do not to stutter and blush when she addressed me.