Part Two: Chapter Ten

───── ・ 。゚☆: *..* :☆゚.─────

if i cannot bend heaven

i will raise hell for you

───── ・ 。゚☆: *..* :☆゚.─────

A DULL ACHE RESONATED INSIDE MY HEAD.

Immediately, my hand flew up to grasp the side of my head, as my eyes fluttered open. My back arched off the bed as the pain rushed throughout my body like an small, igniting fire. It wasn't as sharp as it was earlier, only like a needle point, but it still burned around my innards harder than boiling water.

"Shit," I hissed through my teeth, trying to keep my breathing steady.

Something shifted beside me, tickling my arm a little and I peeked down to see Travis dozed off beside me. His head was resting on top of his folded arms, next to my shoulder. His eyelids fluttered every few seconds, as soft, steady breaths left him. Without the complex workings of his conscious mind, he looked so vulnerable and childlike. The evening sunset shone down on him perfectly, creating a warm, angelic glow around him. My breath immediately caught in my throat, and I couldn't seem to take my eyes off of him. My other hand twitched, only urging me to touch him, but the fear of waking him made me stiller than a statue.

My soft breath fanned over his face, the smattering of his brown freckles coming into view. He jerked his head back in surprise, a deep, crimson blush covering his entire face. His arms were slung around my body, clinging onto me like a baby koala, and without thinking, I rested my chin on the top of his head.

"You needed me," I whispered into the silence of the room, "And I promised you I would be here for you whenever you needed me."

I blinked hard, the memory or vision suddenly passing. A strange ringing vibrated in my ears, and a dark frown furrowed on my face. What had just happened? Was my mind imagining scenarios that hadn't happened?

If so. . . then why did it feel so real? And why was Travis there?

As if he could hear the whirring of my thoughts, Travis' head jolted upward, letting me know he had awakened. His eyes grew wider than usual and took on a wild look as he scanned for any signs of danger. For a few seconds, an expression of pure confusion overtook his face until his gaze landed on mine, and just like that, everything seemed to melt away.

I never had understood the saying that the eyes were the windows to the soul, but I found that the longer I gazed at the man before me, that it was true. I could see right through them - the pain, the sorrow, the heart clenching sadness that shone through them. I saw how each and every emotion came forward to form the beautiful art of his soul. Without even realizing, it painted a tragic picture, from which my own heart ached to reach out and shield him from.

"I'm sorry," his voice was rough as he spoke and I cocked my head to the side in curiosity.

"What are you sorry for?" I whispered.

"That you're sick," he gazed down at the soft blankets pooled around my waist with sorrow-filled eyes, "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I let loose a breathy chuckle, "I probably caught a bug or something from someone."

"No," he shook his head, a look of frustration overtaking him, "You don't understand."

I didn't miss the way he swallowed the lump in his throat, or the way he angled his head away from mine, in an attempt to hide the blurring of his eyes. My lips parted, begging me to say something, but all I could seem to do was stare in complete silence.