Chapter Sixteen

THE HALLS WERE SILENT.

No-one seemed to dare breathe the second I slammed the school doors open. But unlike all the other times I stalked down these hallways with a dark glare etched on my face, this time felt different. This time, their stares pricked my skin. They broke through the hard, exterior walls I had slowly built up over the years. And for once, I was the one who lowered their gaze, unable to look any of them in the eye. For the first time, I felt too embarrassed and ashamed to be walking past them.

Yet in fear of angering me, no-one spoke. No-one even seemed to dare breathe. My heart twisted and sunk with nerves but I didn't let my usual, scowling facade drop, even for a second. I clenched my fists tightly, until my nails dug into the palm of my hand, but I barely noticed. The only thing I was really aware of, was the sound of my heart throbbing against the cage of my chest.

Dread had a vice grip on me, pushing me back like an invisible gale, attempting to reverse my steps back to the comfort of my bed. My stomach was locked tight, my teeth grinding against each other. The clock on the wall ticked like a timer on a bomb, with each tick dragging me another step forward. I sweated, feeling the paling of my face as the light tremors in my hands began.

And then my eye landed on her. There she was, standing at the far end of the hall, blending into the crowd. But somehow, she still managed to stand out.  She gazed into my soul; her eyes of liquid caramel scrutinizing things inside of me, which I could only dream of seeing in myself. She was a mystery; a dangerously beautiful mystery, and I was ensnared in the trap which she'd set. There was a steadiness to her, as if all the storms in the world were a whispering breeze if she was there.

I continued walking, slowing when I came to my locker. On it, my gaze latched on the numerous graffiti that had been made over the week I was gone. People had gone out of their way to fill every empty inch, the previous gray colour barely peeking through.

Then, like someone pressed the play button on a paused movie, everyone seemed to break out the trance they were in. The halls started being filled with its usual chatter and their judgemental glares were shifted away.

I stared at the words, curses and threats that were scribbled over my locker. Each word was being inked into my skin, and I knew I would never forgot them

You psycho!

Hope you rot in hell!

People like you are the reason why death penalties exist.

Die, freak!

"Trevor?"

I froze at the familiar voice behind me. She had a voice that was like music under a summer breeze, almost lost against the noise of the Monday morning traffic. Yet somehow it took hold of me, making me want to listen all the more.

Slowly, I turned around to be greeted by her hesitant, yet still smiling face. I could scarcely breathe when she brushed her silky hair behind her ear.

"How have you been?" she murmured with a tilt of her head, "It's been a while."

"How do you think I've been?" I hoarsely whispered, clearing my throat.

"You look tired," she commented, trailing her eyes over my wrinkled clothes, "Despite having a week off."

"Yeah, well you trying living in hell for a week and let's see if you come out smelling like sunshine and roses," I muttered.

"That bad?" she barely hid her wince.

I heaved a sigh. I almost felt ashamed of myself now, looking back at how I spent my week. Drink, sleep, eat and repeat. Was this what my life was forever going to be like?