World War III {18}

Malea's POV

As soon as I walked into the office the next morning, I ran into Lucian. I gave a little yelp of surprise and he stabled the coffee cup in my hands, the hot liquid nearly scorching my hands. His hair was disheveled and he looked like he needed to get something off his chest.

"I'm so sorry, Malea." Lucian said, his voice sincere but his eyes distant. His suit jacket was tossed in the corner and his button down white top was wrinkled and the first few buttons were unbuttoned, revealing his toned chest. I gulped, trying to divert my attention from his chest.

I opened my mouth to ask him what was wrong but before I could even get the chance, he'd brushed past me and left his office.

Confused and agitated, I dropped the coffee cup onto his desk and slumped into my desk. I lifted my phone to call Levi but as if he read my mind, the door opened and Levi walked in.

I flew into his arms and wrapped him in a giant hug. He stood stiff and motionless in my arms. My heart pounded erratically. Why wasn't he hugging me back? Didn't he miss me? I pulled away from him and took a step back. I swallowed past the rock in my throat.

His blonde hair was styled differently and made him look crisp and...unfamiliar. Levi's brown eyes were emotionless as he looked at me. He swallowed.

"What's wrong Levi?" I choked out, my voice uneven. What was he keeping from me?

Levi's POV

"What's wrong Levi?" Malea asked unevenly. Today Gina had insisted that I break up with Malea and that was what I came to do. But standing here, looking at Malea, her skin tanner than before and her dark hair fanning around her beautiful face, I couldn't find the words to tell her.

"Malea. We need to talk." I said hesitantly. I clenched my fist and silently cursed myself for getting into this situation.

She nodded her head, but she still looked like she was expecting bad news. And bad news was what she would get. I ushered her to a two seater tan couch in the corner and urged her to sit down. She sat.

"Malea, I don't think we–"

"Malea we need to talk." Lucian burst into the room. I spun around to face him. He was flushed, color rising up his exposed upper chest and into his face. I clenched my fist absently, anger beginning to seep into me. Did he just walk around here with his shirt open like that around my girlfriend? Just thinking about what they could be doing while I was wasn't here made me even more furious.

Malea shot up from the couch, her lips parted slightly. "Lu–I mean Mr. King." She said.

Lucian recoiled as soon as he realized that I was sitting so close to her on the couch.

"Is there something you needed?" She asked, stepping forward. I know it's her job to be at his beck and call but seeing her jump up at his name made me more jealous than I'd like to admit.

Lucian shook his head and sighed. "Nevermind. We can talk about it later...You and Levi can carry on. I'll be back soon." He grabbed his suit jacket and left the office.

Malea's shoulders slumped before she turned back to me. She sighed, defeated. "What was it you were going to say, Levi?" She tried to smile, but it didn't reach her beautiful green eyes.

I felt so guilty. Maybe I could wait a little while before telling her that things aren't working out. I crossed the room and wrapped her into a hug. She stood stiff but soon relaxed in my arms and returned the hug. I sighed deeply.

"You're the best, Levi." She mumbled softly against my chest. "I missed you so much."

What am I doing? I was supposed to break things off with her and now I'm comforting her? Next week I'll tell her. Yeah. Next week seems good.