On The Job {8}

Malea's POV(2 days later)
I rubbed my eyes and flipped through the channels halfheartedly but gave up and switched to Netflix. How to Get Away with Murder, here I come!

Halfway through the 5th episode, I heard the front door unlock. Slowly, I closed my MacBook and carried it with me to the front door. That shit costs me a crap ton of money, there's no way I'm going to leave it if there's a robber in the house. Before heading into the foyer, I grabbed the first thing I could find—wooden spoon—from the kitchen.

As soon as I turned around from the kitchen, Ales stood in front of me. I shrieked, my spoon falling to the floor.

She doubled over in laughter. "Malea, why are you so on edge?" She picked up the spoon and tossed it in the sink. Then she made her way into the living room. "Why isn't the TV on?" She muttered to herself as she dropped down on the sofa.

I dropped my MacBook on the coffee table and joined her. "Sorry I was watching How to get away with murder and when you start seeing crime scenes and murderers, then you're obviously going to be on edge when someone unlocks the door randomly."

Ales giggles and punched my shoulder jokingly. "Did you think a wooden spoon would stop a serial killer?"

I shrugged and we burst into laughter.

After gaining control of ourselves, Ales cleared her throat. "Well I'm here to give back the keys. I won't be needing them because I'm moving in with Lucian, my fiancé." She held out the keys to me.

I gulped past the lump in my throat. It would be so hard to get used to not seeing Ales everyday. I took the keys. "So, um, when is your wedding?"

Ales beamed as if she'd been waiting for me to ask that all along. She looked down at her expensive ring and sighed deeply, a slightly maniac smile on her face. "2 weeks from now. I'm trying on wedding dresses tomorrow. Lucian wants the marriage as soon as possible and I do also. We're getting married in Hawaii."

I gasped. "So is it going to be some kind of eloping thing?"

She shook her head and bit her bottom lip in excitement. "It's going to be a huge, dream wedding with bridesmaids and a reception, and there's going to be a beach house Lucian's going to buy where everyone invited can hang out. Lucian's father, my parents, and important guests will be there. And so will you, Miss Bridesmaid." She pulled out an envelope from her Chanel handbag and handed it to me.

A ticket to Hawaii and back. I pulled her into a big hug. "Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this means to me!" She grinned against my shoulder. Why the hell am I her bridesmaid and not her Maid of Honor?

"Who's the maid of honor?" I asked reluctantly as we pulled away.

Ales tucked a flyaway hair behind her ear. "Winter Banks." She turned to me and grasped my hands when she saw my face fall. "Listen sweetie, Winter and I've been hanging out for a long time now and I think it best if she's the maid of honor. I mean it's good publicity!"

I could slowly feel my anger bubbling. "Ive been your friend longer than Winter has and now you're choosing a woman whom you've only known for 2 weeks over me just because you want publicity? How shallow are you?"

She gasped, anger and frustration flashing through her eyes. "You know what, Malea? You're never happy for me! No matter what I do, you're never happy for me! I just got proposed to, for Heaven's sake and you can't even say congrats! Even after he proposed, I hoped to see you but you just took off! I think you're just jealous! That's all you've always been. Jealous!"