Chapter 15 - Sword of the fallen

It took us about three hours to get to Vicia.

The Town was not as big as I expected. Oak Town is probably larger than it is from seeing it at the bottom of the mountain hill, and I was taken aback at the many small houses in the distance. The houses were made out of the same style as Oak Town but with minor differences since they have rooftops instead of towers for head. The many inhabitants moved about their business and talked to each other smiling.

This place had a nice atmosphere.

"Nice place," I said, glancing around.

Totomaru who was standing beside me let out a chuckle before patting me on the head.

"C'mon," he said.

The two of us made our way through the town and few curious people looked our direction but no one made their way to talk to us. They are probably curious about who we were, but that just an human response after all, anyone would be curious about strangers entering their town.

"So where are we going by the way?" I asked Totomaru.

"Well, Eve," he answered, "We're going to the Mayor's office. We have to notify him that we are taking the job Request he send out."

"Ah," I said.

We reached a building seating beside a small river that goes right behind it. They were many people going in and out of the building and Totomaru quickly made his way toward one of the desk and the young woman behind it looked up at him.

"Yes," she asked.

"We're here to answer the Mayor's job Request," he told her, showing her the paper.

"Ah, yes," she said, "We're received words that Phantom Lord had answered our Request…the Mayor is just down the hall. He will be waiting for you."

Totomaru and I walked down toward the indicated hallway and sure enough a heavily ornate wooden door was at the end of the hallway with the words written MAYOR upon it. Totomaru knocked twice and a voice from within the room answered with a soft "enter" before he pulled it open.

The inside of the office was brightly light from the sunlight that was coming from the large windows behind the large chair. The desk was filled with books and other papers. An old fashioned lamp sat on the side of the desk and my attention was drawn toward the person seating at the large chair.

He was a heavyset man, dressed in a completely blue suit. His blond hair was pulled back in a slick oiled way that reminds me of a car's salesman. He had large rim ringed glasses upon his face, making his greens eyes seems wider than normal, which sat upon the top of a crocked nose. His moustache had curled up at the corners. His lips were thin and were pulled up at the corner as he observed the both of us which had stepped inside his office.

"You must be Mayor Kenai," Totomaru said, looking at the man in front of us.

Mayor Kenai pulled his hands up to his lips.

"When I have received words that a powerful guild is going to send some people to take care of the thieves," he said, his voice sounding like a rumbling volcano, "I would have expected someone older at least but children?"

Totomaru smirked a little at that.

"We are qualified enough for this job," he said, "It's not our age that you should underestimate…but our magic abilities. If our guild says that we are qualified for the job then you should believe them."

Mayor Kenai didn't seems to be convinced but he didn't say anything else.

"Now," Totomaru continued, "How about you tell us why the thieves have been targeting this town?"