34

Cassidy's Pov
I walked through the school heading my way towards the library when I felt someone put a bag on my head and take my hand and practically dragged me without letting me say anything.

When we got to a room the bag was off my head when I realized I was in the gym.

"Was the bag really necessary..." I muttered when I looked up to see the coach.

"I'm coach Kale." She said.

I felt someone push me forward as she grabbed a basketball.

"Is any of this necessary?" I muttered.

"You won't leave until you've played a scrimmage against me. So a 1v1. Game rules." She said passing the ball.

"No." I said.

"Than you'll be skipping class sitting in this gym with nothing to do." She said and I shrugged.

"Even without this." I heard Zoey from behind digging in my backpack finding my book.

I had recently started with Hunger Games and I was gonna watch the movies with a Anna over the summer.

"Or this book." She said grabbing the book I would never be able to let go.

It was the book 'they both die in the end'. She started to walk away when I went after wanting them back.

"Oh honey these are going in the trash." She said as my eyes widen.

"Is this how you really expect me to play! By threat?" I asked.

"Zoey we agreed to not destroy her books. Put them back." My coach said and Zoey looked at me.

I glared at her and snatched the books away from her and made sure all my notes were inside.

I forget easily what my books are about so I make notes to understand what happened in the last chapter or what happened in the last book if it's a sequel.

I was hoping to finish the hunger games sequel before April but with my dyslexic in the way it's making it hard for me to finish a book in a week.

I wasn't diagnosed with dyslexic but my doctors found out when I was 8. I always had a hard time reading but books was always my get away. My readings improved a lot though.

"You know Stanford's D1 basketball players are pretty good. Maybe even Harvard or UCLA." The Coach said as I looked at her.

"Right your wanting to be in D1 basketball. You can't do that unless you try." She said as she bounced the ball to me.

"Just try. And once the scrimmage is over you can leave and never have to speak to me again." She said.

"Fine whatever." I mumbled carefully putting my books in my bag.

"I don't have the right shoes. Nor do I have the right clothes." I said and Zoey slapped a pair of shoes on the ground as well as my uniform shorts and a jersey.

"No way in hell I'm touching those when they've been touched my him." I said taking the shoes.

~~~~~

I started with the ball when my coach checked it in. I dribbled and started to realize my surroundings. I started to go left and changed my directions to the right making a layup.

"Your eyes are focused on your sense of direction. But your body is making it difficult to see where you go and really people don't realize your eyes." She said.

"How'd you do that? You know doing two things at once while under pressure with 100 of people screaming at you?" She asked me as I checked up to her.

"I don't know." I said checking her.

She started to make a 3-pointer when she missed I knocked the ball and fight it taking it back and shooting my shot for a 3-pointer.

"Your not trying." I said and she looked at me.

"What about it? You want me to try harder?" She said.

"If I'm playing my last one might as well beat me." I said and she sighed.

She started to go harder and eventually we tied up to 15 each. The last shot was declared the winning shot.

In the end... I ended up winning just because I cheated off and made a 3-pointer. It felt fun to play again.

"Alright. You win you can go." Coach Kale said and I just stared at the basket above.

I made one last shot before grabbing my bags and leaving. I took a lot of thought into it and I realized what they were doing.

I walked into second hour and thought about maybe if I did join back it wouldn't be so bad.

"Cassidy Pay attention thuis will be on the test you know." The teacher said and I looked up nodding.

I felt a kick in my seat looking behind me to see Anna. She did a small wave has I smiled.

~~~~~

"Fine. I'll join back." I muttered outside the office.

The office that used to be his office and it still gave me a shudder so I stayed outside of it not to get my anxiety worse.

"Your not being blackmailed or threatened by Zoey?" She said and I shook my head no.

"Alright. Here you go." She said having a brand new set of uniforms.

"We bought new ones. Fresh one for the team." she said.

It was clean white with red. Our school colors as I took ahold of it.

"And as well of the teams buying you new shoes." She said bring a box of Nike shoes out.

"Thanks..." I mumbled.

Usually I was just never given anything besides either Anna or my family so this was sorta new to me.