Chapter 22 ~ A Gift

Chapter 22: A Gift
~

Letter clasped firmly in one hand, I held up my skirts with the other as I darted down the stairs. My footsteps echoed loudly and I nearly bumped into a scowling Owen at the bottom.

"My pardon," I rasped out, moving around him before darting for the door that was thankfully wide open, letting in a breeze of fresh glen air.

Leigh was mounting his horse, satchels attached to the saddle. I'd gotten there just in time. I ran across the cobbled courtyard, avoiding soldiers and stable hands, waving my letter. He smiled and bowed his head when he saw me, reaching down to take it from me and tuck it safely into his jacket.

"I will see it safely into the Duchess' hands, my lady," he vowed. "And I will do all I can to have her well again."

Nodding, I stepped back and watched Leigh and the two warriors going with him ride out the gates. I prayed he'd be able to help my friend, hoping there was a god listening as I whispered under my breath. As soon as Lord Lyall deemed me stable, I would go and see her. Margaret would have the chance to be a mother.

Lifting my head to the sun, I soaked in the rays, taking deep breaths of the gentle breeze. I didn't know what to do with myself now. Torian had gone with his father and uncle to check in with a few farms and said he might not be back in time for the evening meal. Lady Lyall was checking food stocks in the kitchen and preferred to do so alone. I had no friends or acquaintances nearby to visit.

I looked longingly towards the stable. Breò-chlach was out in the field today, grazing happily amongst the other horses but his tack was in need of cleaning. Servants normally took up that task but I found it relaxing. It made me feel useful. Torian had been right, being the wife of a lord at court might have genuinely driven me to insanity.

"It's a braw day," Aileen sang from behind me.

I turned to smile at her but ended up staring in shock at what she was wearing. Dressed like a man, as sometimes I did, she stood in tight breeches and a loose blouse. Her long blonde hair was tied back in a series of coiled braids and she held a sword in front of her.

"What are you doing?" I asked, intrigued.

She grinned at me. "I'm going to train. Do you want to join me? I can wait until you've changed."

I frowned down at my dress and eyed what Aileen was wearing. Another grin and she put her sword by the door and grabbed my arm. "Come. I have an idea that will help you with my brother."

"Why do I need help with your brother?"

My question was ignored, leaving me befuddled. She dragged me up the stairs and more than a few times, I almost tripped over my skirts. Making sure I was okay, she led me into my rooms and had no hesitancy about entering the bedchamber. Spinning me around, she made quick work of unlacing me from my dress that pooled at my feet. I stumbled forward with a yelp when she went to lift my shift.

"Forgive me." She laughed at my expression, despite doing her best to keep a straight face. "I forget you were brought up amongst humans. So modest unless it's a servant."

I felt a little insulted by that but I turned to find the riding trousers I kept hidden beneath my capes. Tying them in place, I turned to see Aileen holding out one of Torian's shirts. I frowned.

"I'm sure I can find a blouse somewhere. . ." I trailed off, unsure of the strange feeling that caused butterflies in my stomach at the idea of wearing my husband's clothes.

"He won't mind," she insisted, placing it in my hands. "I steal Artair's all the time."

That was why the blouse she worse was so big on her slight frame. Still unsure, I took it and turned my back to her. I slipped the shirt on before allowing my corset to drop to the ground. It was most likely highly unflattering but there was an exhilaration in it too. Aileen nodded in approval as I reached for my sword and her eyes lit up as she saw it.

Tigh Na Faol: House of Wolf (A Wulvers Prequel)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें