Chapter 16 ~ Pack Law

Chapter 16: Pack Law
~

I was too hot as I woke. Sweat beaded on my skin and I kicked away the blankets only to freeze at the sight of the arm thrown over my waist. My brow furrowed in confusion until I looked over at the man who lay next to me. Torian was still sleeping soundly, his breaths deep and even. He looked less stern in his sleep, I noted, rolling over to study him.

I'd never been this close to a sleeping man before. I took in the softeness off his features, daring to lift a hand to tuck a stray strand of dark blond hair away but let my hand fall back to the bed before I could. Instead, I closed my eyes again to steal as much sleep as I could.

After dozing for another couple of minutes, it was a cough had me jerking awake again. My gaze flew to the door. Artair stood with a smirk stretching his lips as his eyes flicked between his brother and me. I scrambled to pick up the blankets in an effort to keep my modesty, aware of how little the thin shift I wore hid.

My movement woke up Torian and he blinked a few times before he sat up quickly, his eyes narrowing at his brother. His voice came out rough with sleep, "You shouldn't be in here, brother "

"Mother sent me. You both missed breakfast and you know how important it is to her that we all share the morning meal together," Artair replied calmly, leaning against the doorframe.

My skin felt like it was burning from embarrassment at having been caught in bed with Torian, especially with so little on. Artair didn't look embarrassed in the slightest.

"Good morning to you as well, Màili. You look. . .well flushed. But it doesn't smell like I interrupted anything," he teased, incurring another growl from my husband.

I stared at him in shock at such crass words then ducked my head, unable to look at him. He was a Wulver, my thoughts reminded me. What was he capable of? Was his light heartedness and teasing just a facade to hide the wolf?

Torian shoved himself out of bed and stalked towards his brother who quickly darted for the door. He didn't make it in time though and Torian grabbed Artair's shirt before marching him out of our bedchambers. They shared some hushed words, more growls filling the adjoining room and then Artair's laugh boomed through.

"Give my apologies to your lady wife then, brother," he announced loud enough for me to hear. "I didn't mean to make her uncomfortable."

They muttered between themselves a bit more before Artair left and Torian reappeared at the bedroom door.

"I have to go deal with something. Stay here," he ordered as he picked up clothes and got dressed like I wasn't even in the room.

For a moment I was distracted by his nakedness, my mouth falling open as I got a good look at him. Muscles bunched with his every movement and my eyes trailed down the length of his back, pausing at the sight of a taught rear. I knew that had been his plan, to shock me into silence.

Regaining my sense, I slipped out the bed, my irritation flaring. "We said no more secrets."

He paused and turned to look at me, his eyes searching my face. I could see him debating with himself before he inclined his head. "You might not like what you find."

The warning had butterflies fluttering around my stomach but I refused to be scared off.

"I don't care. We made an agreement. If I'm to stay here, I have to live here, not be hidden from things like a child. Will your mother be there?" I asked, holding myself tall.

He nodded.

Nodding back, I turned to my chest and pulled out a wine coloured dress. "Then I will be there too."