Chapter 10 ~ Escape

Chapter 10: Escape

Beware of the Wolves. . .
~

I jerked awake, sucking in a sharp breath, the howl from my dream still ringing in my ears. Rubbing my face, I tried to remember why I'd decided sleeping on the window seat was a good idea. My back and neck ached and my limbs were stiff and tingling. Sighing softly, I looked out the window, wiping away at the moisture with the sleeve of my nightdress.

Freezing, I stared at the sun beginning to peak above the horizon. I cursed and jumped to my feet, jumping at the icy touch of the stone floor on my feet.

How could I have allowed myself to fall asleep? There was no time to waste. Whatever wasn't essential would have to stay.

Stripping quickly, I pulled on a rough petticoat that would be sure to keep me warm before donning my riding dress. I clambered over the bed in search of my boots, tugging them onto stocking covered feet.

I paused, trying to catch my breath with a hand over my racing heart. Was I really going to do this?

Doubt began to creep in as the sun got higher.

The Lyall's were odd yes, but I'd never felt in danger from Torian or his father. In fact, from Lord Lyall's reaction to the bruises my father had left as a parting gift on my skin, he would be furious if anyone hurt me.

My eyes flicked from the lightening sky to the leather satchel resting on top of one of my wooden chests. My resolve weakened until I replayed the conversation I had heard last night. I couldn't stay here amongst madmen.

Grabbing the satchel, I was glad to hear the clink that let me know my herbs and vials were still safely tucked inside. I fell to my knees and tore open a chest, then paused again.

My things hadn't been here when I had fallen asleep. . .but there was no time to ponder on that now. I raked through the piles of silks, and embroidered dresses until my hand gripped a velvet pouch. Squeezing, making sure all my life's money was inside, I yanked it out.

The chirping of birdsong rang louder through the air but I was yet to hear any sounds from the courtyard below. Nobody was awake yet, at least that's what I prayed. I had no idea what time servants woke to go about their chores.

Again I hesitated. What if the castle was already bustling with servants preparing breakfast?

I sat still, straining to hear any movement but only the birds could be heard. Nodding again, muttering that I could do this, adrenaline was my fuel. I pulled out the thickest, warmest cloak I had and wrapped it tight around my shoulder.

I'd need food, but I had no idea where the kitchens were. Yet, we were deep in the wild Highlands and it could be days before I found a village or town to buy supplies. I had to try.

My sword was missing from amongst my belongings and that brought an ache to my heart. My mother had gifted it to me, we had blessed it together over a fire. As much as I didn't want to leave it behind, I feared I had no choice, but how could I protect myself on the road with no weapon?

Gods, I wished I'd planned more but I doubted I had the nerve to make a second attempt. It was now or never.

Strapping the bag of coins to the belt of my dress and tugging the rough leather strap of the satchel over my shoulder, I took my first step. Opening the door that lead from the bedchambers into the rest of the apartment. There was no sign of Torian, nor any servants. The fire had died, and a ghostly wind blew from the chimney as if warning me to stop.

Bracing myself, I picked up my long skirts and bolted on tiptoe to the door that lead to the hall. This door announced my fleeing with a loud creak that bounced off the walls. A gust of wind blew and candles flickered. I held my breath, waiting to see if the noise had disturbed anyone.