Chapter Thirty-Three

two weeks later

I twist around to fully appraise myself in the mirror. The flowy skirt twirls with my movements. It took a lot for me to build the confidence to wear the peach-colored dress, the top hugging my curves in a revealing way. Luckily, Dee and Mia were there when I bought it, boosting my confidence.

The city fair is coming back to town for a week during the summer. I almost leaped out of my skin with joy when Dominic told me he was taking me on a date there. Now, I grab my purse from our bed. Our bed. It sounds strange to say it. There was some confusion when I got back from the hospital, me thinking I would go home to the trailer now that the threat was gone. Dominic nearly had a stroke when he saw me packing my duffle bag. He quickly explained to me that this stopped being about me needing his protection a long time ago.

Once the bag is secured around my shoulder, I nearly skip out to meet Dominic by the car. I jump into his arms, something that I wouldn't have been able to do two weeks ago when I was still recovering from the attack.

"I'm so excited!" I nearly squeal, thinking about all the cotton candy and rides.

"I can see," Dominic chuckles, setting me down and opening the door for me to get in the car. The whole way there I talk about all the rides and foods I heard will be at the fair. Dominic lets me gush, chuckling when I get really excited about something.

When we get to the fairgrounds I excitedly wait for Dominic to come around and open my door. I get out and he leads me inside, hand on the small of my back.

"What should we do first? The go-carts or Ferris wheel," I ask him, the smell of popcorn and cotton candy making my stomach growl.

"Let's save the Ferris wheel for last. And from the sound of it, the first thing we need is snacks," I blush at the fact that he heard my ravenous stomach. Dominic buys us both a corn dog and slushy and we look around at all of the rides and games as we finish our snacks.

Dominic and I have a blast, riding the go-carts, and seeing everything the fair has to offer. By the time we reach the Ferris wheel, we have been to every other attraction at the fair and it's early evening, the sky just starting to turn shades of pink and orange.

Dominic helps me into our carriage, getting in behind me, and I watch in amazement as we lift off of the ground, the view absolutely stunning.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I say to Dominic, looking at the gorgeous view of our city.

"It is," Dominic says, sounding just as star-struck as me. When I turn around to give him a smile, his eyes aren't on the view at all, but on me.

"Dominic?" I question, brow furrowing.

"Sephie," He begins. "I have never met someone with a heart as pure as yours. Your beauty, your kindness...it captured me from the moment I first laid eyes on you. I was amazed that you couldn't see it, the way you draw in everyone around you with your kind soul. I still mean every word I said to you on the night of our last time at the carnival. Not only am I going to make you see your beauty but I want to spend my whole life doing it."

"Dominic," I whisper voice thick with tears of joy. I stare in amazed happiness as he pulls out a small black velvet box.

"Sephie Mckay, I love you more than words can express. Will you be my wife?"

I stare at the beautiful ring, glimmering with the lights of the fair. My mind goes back to every moment leading up to this, me first laying eyes on him, that night after the carnival, tracing every inch of his body with my fingertips, crying into his chest at the hospital, him holding my hand at my mother's funeral only a week ago. If I could back I would thank her, because without her I would have never met Dominic. Looking into his eyes, I know in my heart that he's the love of my life. So I give him the only answer there is.

"Yes."

Dominic finally put a ring on it!!!!💍💞

I hope you guys liked this chapter! Leave a vote if you did!