Chapter Three

Sephie POV

I notice the throbbing pain in my eye and cheekbone as soon as I wake up. When I open my eyes I'm confused for a second by the unfamiliar room, them I remember the events of yesterday. Suddenly, I don't want to get up and face the world. Soon, my bladder overcomes my desire to hide from the world and I'm forced to get up.

When I stare in the mirror for the first time, I wince. Varying shades of purple, blue, and green paint my eye and cheekbone. My curly hair in a mess on my head. In the stress of yesterday, I forgot to tie it up last night. Overall, I look like a wreck, which is pretty accurate considering how I feel.

After doing my business, I try to tame my hair but give up and end up putting it in a messy bun. I leave the bathroom looking like a more refreshed wreck.

"Sephie," I hear my sister call. I follow her voice into the kitchen. We didn't talk much yesterday and I know she has a lot to say to me. We talk every day on the phone but we haven't seen each other in person since she moved out three years ago. Between me working and her going to beauty school, we've grown apart.

"How'd you sleep?" She asks.

"Like the dead," I sit at the counter and admire the house. I know it must be her boyfriends because of how masculine and modern it looks. From what she's told me during our phone conversations, she recently moved in with him. I know once she gets a chance to decorate it will look much homier.

"That's good," She sits a bowl in front of me and pours my favorite cereal in, the one with the little cookies. I want to tell I can do it myself but I know she won't listen. She always took on the maternal role in our sisterhood. Our mother's neglectfulness made it worse and I know she feels responsible for me.

"Silas is outside talking to some people. They're probably going to ask you some questions about last night."

"Are they cops?" I ask, dreading it. I just want to forget about what happened and the whole legal process just seems draining.

"No, far from it. They're friends of Silas and they are going to help us."

"Oh my god, please don't tell me you're dating a drug dealer," I say, rolling my eyes. Her boyfriend did look a little rough, dark brown hair, lean muscles, and I noticed a sleeve of tattoos.

"No, and you shouldn't be so quick to judge," She scolds me, sending me a look over her shoulder as she takes a jug of milk out of the fridge. "He used to be an underground boxer but now he owns his own business. He knows a few people who can track our mom down and find the people who did this."

"Oh, well that's a relief! He's just an ex illegal fighter with dangerous criminal friends. I'm not surprised, you've always been into the bad boys. Remember Blake?" I say, referencing her highschool boyfriend.

"Blake is a part of my past I'd like to forget. You know I wouldn't let you around Silas if I didn't trust he was a danger," She pours the milk into my bowl as she talks.

"Okay, I'll give the guy a chance. I can see why you like him, he's hot," Mia gets a dreamy look on her face but before she can gross me out with her lovey-dovey talk, the front door opens and three men walk. I thought Silas looked rough but these guys are total units. One has to be over 6'2 with blond hair and a jagged scar that runs down the left side of his face. The other is even taller, with inky black hair that needs a cut and a face that could have been carved by Michelangelo himself. Tattoos peek from the neckline of his shirt and I'm sure he's covered in them.

"This is Ace and Demon." Silas introduced them. The blond one, Ace, tilts his chin up at me but Demon's eyes get hard and I notice the muscles in his jaw tighten. "They're going to ask you a few questions about last night."

Ace takes a seat next to me but Demon remains standing, still looking pissed off. I can't help but think the name fits him.

"We need to know everything that happened, from the moment you arrived home yesterday," Ace informs me.

"Uh- well, when I got home from work I noticed him in my house."

"Did you see a car in the driveway?" Ace asks.

"No, I wasn't really paying attention," I admit, feeling like an idiot. "He grabbed my arm and dragged me over to the couch. He told me my mom stole 50,000 from 'him and his club'. He said that since they couldn't find her he was going to make me pay her debt...with my body."

Demon's eyes get hard again and even Ace looks angry. I realize that Demon didn't look angry because he didn't like me, but because of the black eye I'm sporting. The thought sends a strangely soft feeling through me.

"Did he say what club?"

"No, he didn't mention it. After that, he tried to assault me. We struggled for a while and I hit him over the head with a vase. After that, I ran out of there and called Mia," I finish.

"I think it was the local MC. They're always causing trouble around here," Ace says.

"Our mom was seeing someone there. I think his name was Mark or something. She must have gotten the money through him," I tell him.

"She's not too smart. She's definitely blowing a ton of money. We'll follow the crash trail right to her," Silas says. "In the meantime, you don't go anywhere by yourself. If you have places to go, I'll take you. If I'm not available then Demon will take you."

With that, Demon and Ace leave. I finish eating my now soggy cereal and call my job to let them know why I'm gone.

"This is Leah's Bookshop, how can I help you," Chris answers. Even his voice sends flutters in my belly.

"This is Sephie," I wince, waiting for him to freak out.

"We were supposed to surprise Leah today! I had to do it all by myself," Chris exclaims.

"Someone broke into my house yesterday and assaulted me. I'm at my sister's place right now."

"Oh my god! Are you okay? I should have never let you go home alone, this is all my fault."

"That's not true. I'm the one who convinced you to let me go alone," I say, feeling bad that he feels guilty because of me.

"Listen, a customer just came in but I'm going to call you back at the end of my shift. Take the week off, you need to recover. And I'm never letting you go home alone ever again. Take care of yourself, Sephie."

"I will, Chris. Talk to you later."

"Was that your boyfriend?" I jump, almost dropping the phone. She must have been listening to my whole conversation.

"No, he's just this guy I work with," I say, hoping she doesn't press the issue.

"You like him don't you?" She says with a Cheshire Cat grin. My first instinct is to lie, but I think it will be a relief to finally have someone to gush about him to.

"Yeah, I do. We used to go to school with him, he's Christopher Hale."

"Oh, he's cute! Tell me all about him!"

Mia and sit at the counter and I tell her all about how my heart flutters when he's near and she listens with avid, dreamy eyes. For a little while, I forget about the mess I'm in.

Turn that little star orange for some good luck! ⭐

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.