thirty nine

Chapter Thirty Nine

Friday Night

"Jennifer, get down here, Mason's waiting for you!" My Mother called, and I could faintly hear a low mumble come from my Father. He'd left early from work specifically so that he could send me on my way to prom.

I would be lying if I were to say that I wasn't unbelievably nervous. Not only at the fact that it was finally prom night, but also because I was going with Mason. Months ago, if I were asked who I was going to prom with, I would've said Peter.

To think about all that has changed this year puts me on the brink of an epic panic attack.

"COMING!" I yell, sneaking one final glance in my bedroom mirror before shutting the door. I wasn't sure how Mason was going to take seeing me in my dress, since we aren't really together.

 I wasn't sure how Mason was going to take seeing me in my dress, since we aren't really together

Usually the boyfriend would get so overwhelmed by the girl's beauty that they'd cry. Hopefully he won't, because then my Father will cry, and my Mom is more of a sympathetic cryer.

Which is severely awkward.

"Here she comes." I heard a voice whisper, just as i'd met the top of the stairs. Picking up my dress, I slowly started to descend, making sure to use my other hand to hold onto the railing.

"Oh my gosh!" My mom inhaled, covering her mouth to conceal the sight of her heavy breathing. As soon as I could make out the base of Mason's head, my heart fell from my chest.

He looked perfect, and I was happy that our outfits matched flawlessly.

"Dad, are you recording?" I asked, chuckling slightly after I'd finished my descent

"Of course I am, I wouldn't want to miss a single second of this moment." He informed, taking a step back to film Mason and I from a different angle.