23. Paper Rings

They stare

They stare. They all stare in silence. Some want to say something while the rest have an encouraging smile. My mother seems happy, so does Firdaus bhabhi. Trisha di isn't here but I am sure she would've been happy too. My father sighs.

"This is your final decision? You want to go back to him?" I nod.

There is nothing else that I can do and be happy. He made me happy. With his lies or his truth, it doesn't matter. I would never find the happiness I did with him. And I can't even imagine it with someone else. He stood there for days just to see me. It's my time to put him out of his misery.

I stayed here with my family but this doesn't comfort me. I miss my home. The one I built with him. I miss his arms, I miss his dry replies, I miss teasing him about his love for his computer and I just miss him. He loves me? I don't know why he does but I don't care. I don't know why I love him either. All I know is that I do.

It's true what they say. Distance makes the heart fonder. I love that man for all his lies and I love that man for all his efforts. I am tired of running away. This time when I run, I want to end up in his arms and never leave.

I look up at my brother. He betrays no emotion. "I know you're worried but I'll be fine. I love him. And I just want to be with him." He sighs but he doesn't object. The clock strikes one past midnight. He didn't come today. Maybe he is finally catching up on sleep or maybe he needs to be away from me too-

"ISHA!!"

Everyone turns to the door, where Trisha di runs in from. She stops infront of me, huffing lightly when I hold her shoulders. "You-"

"Calm down first." She shakes her head. "Dev-"

"Is he here yet? He didn't come here today. Is he outside?" I try to move past her when she grabs my arm. "He won't come." Huh?

"What?"

"His- his parents are dead." My mother gasps, so does Samiksha di. I stare at my elder sister. She is not someone to joke around anyway but this can't be true. He can't be all alone. Not in a time like this. He shouldn't be alone.

She turns to everyone else and mutters some things. I don't listen. I cannot listen. My ears ring from the pain of being away from him. The agony that would be tormenting him. How is he? What's he thinking?

💋