𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕪-𝕤𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟: Come Home

On the drive to Stan's house, Will goes back over the plan.

They've picked up Kate, who will be playing a very important role in the idea Gina came up with.

"So you understand what to do?" Will asks, glancing at the girl through the rearview mirror.

"Yes sir."

"Are ya sure?" Stan asks, turning back to look at her, skeptically.

"Stan," Will says,"she's got it."

Stan looks back at Will, who's now turning into his driveway.

"Well, she's such a goody-goody that I had to make sure-"

"Stan."

Hearing the warning in Will's voice, Stan decides it's not worth it.

"Yes sir," he says, dropping the conversation.

Will lets the two children out in front of the house, before driving back down the lane.

"Does your mama know about this?" Kate asks.

Stan's already started walking towards the woods, and Kate's having to walk quickly to keep up.

"Course she does. Now, are ya sure ya know what the plan is?"

Kate rolls her eyes,"My goodness, Stan, will you just be quiet? Mr. Reid told you to hush about that."

"He ain't my daddy," Stan snaps, picking up the pace.

"Well, he's an adult, which means you gotta listen to him. And he told you to quit askin' me that."

"Fine, I'll just shut up then. Bet that'll make ya happy."

He doesn't speak the rest of the way to the shack, much to Kate's relief.

When they reach the hideout, Stan does the secret knock. Two eyes peer out at him from the cracked door, before it swings wide open.

"Kate!" Nic exclaims, wrapping her friend in a hug.

"Oh, I missed you, Nic," her friend replies, squeezing her tight.

Quickly, Nic pulls back and looks at Kate in confusion.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you. And I wanted to ask if I could stay here too."

"Stay here?" Nic asks, her eyebrows drawn together,"why would you do that?"

Without answering, Kate walks into the shack.

The inside looks only a little better than the outside. There's a makeshift bed set up in one corner with a flashlight and a few books. Candy wrappers and empty chip bags litter the floor.

"Kate."

Because she'd been so invested in surveying her surroundings, Kate hadn't heard her two friends enter the shack behind her.

"Yeah?"

"What do you mean by 'stay here'?" Nic asks again.

Kate turns around and looks at her friend, reminding herself not to spill out the truth and ruin the plan. She's never been a good liar.

"I'm moving in here with you," she says, her voice full of conviction she doesn't feel,"I'm tired of not seeing you."

"Well, that's not a good reason," Nic says, sitting down on her makeshift bed.

"Sure it is. You don't come to school anymore so I can't see you there. And you're my best friend, Nic."

"Hey," Stan says, sounding offended.