𝕋𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪-𝕥𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖: Acting Weird

"Gina, is it okay if Kate and Stan come over tomorrow?"

"That's fine," Gina says, placing a handful of potato chips into a Ziploc bag.

She zips up the bag and puts it inside Nic's lunchbox, before writing something on a sticky note and placing that inside too.

"Alright, darlin', your lunch is ready to go. Have ya got your shoes on?"

Nic runs to the backdoor and slips on her tennis shoes, then she walks back over to her mother.

"Of course I have my shoes on," she says with a goofy smile.

Gina raises a brow and frowns,"I only told ya ten times to have your shoes on before I finished making your lunch."

"Eleventh times the charm," Nic sings, grabbing her lunchbox from the counter.

She wraps her arms around her mother and is out the door before Gina can say another word.

Gina shakes her head and walks towards the door leading to the cafe's kitchen.

-

"Is Stan okay?"

"What do you mean?" Nic whispers, keeping an eye on her teacher.

"He's just acting different today. He didn't talk much on the bus and that's not like him."

Nic turns to Kate and sees worry written all over the blonde girl's face.

"I'm sure he's fine."

"I don't know. I'm worried about him."

"Well maybe we can-"

"Girls!"

Nic and Kate turn slowly to face their teacher whose stern expression leaves them both uneasy.

"See me after class."

When Ms Orville turns back to write a formula on the board, Nic slumps in her seat.

"Shit."

"Guess we better stop talking during class," Kate mumbles, sadly.

"Yeah."

After the bell rings, Kate and Nic reluctantly stay behind as students rush out of the classroom.

"Come here, please," Ms Orville says from behind her desk.

The two girls slowly make their way to their teacher's desk.

"Girls, I understand that math is not the most interesting subject, but it's very important to your education. This is the fourth time this week I've had to address you both talking during class. Now, if I wanted to, I could have letters sent home to your parents asking them to speak with you both about this."

Nic and Kate exchange worried glances.

"But, I'm willing to overlook this, if you can both promise me that it won't happen again."

"We promise," Kate says, quickly.

"Yeah, we promise."

Ms Orville watches the girls for a moment, then she clears her throat and smiles.

"Alright, well then I expect you both to keep those promises. If I have to get after you again, I'll be having a talk with your parents, is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am," the girl's reply.

"Alright, then get on to lunch."

The two girls leave the classroom as quickly as possible. When they get into the hall, they realize Stan is nowhere in sight.