𝔽𝕚𝕧𝕖: Home Alone

It was two days after Nic's breakdown and Gina was still debating on the best way to handle things in the future.

Obviously, Nic did not understand the difference between abuse and a simple spanking. And as much as Gina tried to explain things, the girl couldn't seem to grasp it. The last thing Gina wanted was to remind Nic of the pain she had endured at the hands of people who hadn't loved her.

If a spanking was going to cause bad memories to surface for her new daughter, then Gina would have to find different ways to discipline.

"Bella," Gina called from downstairs, "I'm leaving now."

The young girl came running down the stairs, nearly slipping on the rug placed at the bottom.

"Woah there, darlin'," Gina laughed,"ya nearly busted your backside sliding on that mat."

Nic shrugged, a smile spread across her face,"Sorry, what was it you needed?"

"I didn't need anything. I was just telling ya that I'm leaving now."

Nic walked across the room to where Gina stood near the back door. She tried to hide the disappointment and worry she was feeling.

"You're gonna leave me here? By myself?"

The tone of the girl's voice broke Gina's heart. She bent down and brushed her thumb against Nic's cheek,"I'll be back before ya know it. And I may even have a treat with me when I get back."

Nic's eyes lit up with excitement. She'd never gotten a treat before.

"Well, I guess that would be okay," she said softly.

Gina gave her a wink,"That's my brave girl."

She picked her keys up from their place on the table, along with her purse and turned the doorknob.

"You know the rules," Gina lectured,"no opening the door. No leaving the house. No getting into the display pastries."

The last sentence caused Nic to roll her eyes and smile.

"Ya seemed to have a real hard time with that one last time," Gina reminded.

Nic crossed her arms,"Hey, they were just sitting there, looking pretty damn good. I couldn't help it."

"Well let's try to stay away from 'em this time, alright? And watch your language," Gina said, giving the young girl a stern look.

Nic gave Gina a look of her own,"Sorry? I don't see why it's such a big deal."

"I won't have my daughter cussin' and carrying on like that. Especially at your age. And drop the attitude."

With a sigh, Nic nodded. She played with her braid, obviously wanting the conversation to end.

"Where'd ya learn to talk like that anyway?"

Nic shrugged again, her eyes glued to the floor.

"Well, I gotta get going," Gina opened the door and stepped outside,"Behave while I'm out, yeah?"

"I'll see what I can do."

Gina shook her head,"I get back home and find out you've disobeyed me and you'll be in big trouble. Is that understood?"

Nic met Gina's eyes and glared at her. They stared at each other for a minute until Nic broke the silence.

"You aren't gonna hit me. Or spank me. Whatever you call it." Her tone was hard, it dared Gina to argue.

"You're right, Bella, I'm not gonna spank you."