𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟: Out of the Maze & Into Trouble

Stalks of corn smack Stan across the face as he tries to guide his friends out of the maze.

"Stan," Nic yells from behind him,"We need to find the trail again! That's how we're gonna get out!"

"Shut it, Nic," Stan yells back, still running,"I know where I'm going."

"No the hell you don't! We've been running for forever and we're nowhere near the end of the maze!"

"Shhh," Stan says, standing still, which causes Kate and Nic to slam into him.

"What?!" Nic yells, ready to punch her friend in his face.

"Y'all hear that?"

"Hear what?" Nic asks.

From somewhere in the distance, they can hear someone yelling. But they can't make out what the person is saying.

Stan starts walking in the direction of the voice before Kate grabs his sleeve and pulls him back,"Stan, what if it's a trap? What if it's one of them scary clown people?"

"Katie," Stan says, slightly annoyed,"they're only in a damn costume. Whoever's yelling can help us get out of here."

Kate weaves both of her arms around one of Stan's and clings to him as he starts walking towards the voice. Nic has her hand on Kate's back, hoping she doesn't trip or get left behind.

"Hey? Anyone out there?" The voice yells, clearer now.

"Hey," Stan shouts,"We're over here!"

He assumes the person heard him because it's quiet for a moment. And then the voice says,"I'm gonna keep yelling! Come towards my voice!"

After far too much Marco Polo, Stan, Kate, and Nic all emerge from the corn stalks to find themselves back on the trail.

Kate screams when she sees the owner of the voice. It's the terrifying clown she'd seen earlier.

The man takes his clown mask off,"Hey, kid," he says, gently,"I'm a normal person. Just like you."

"Sorry," Stan says dismissively,"she's scared real easy."

Nic elbows Stan's side.

"Ow!" He yelps.

"Shut up about her, asshole," Nic says, then she turns to the clown guy,"can you help us get outta this maze?"

The man smiles,"Well, that's actually what I'm in here to do. Your mom was looking for you guys and she's real spooked."

"She is?" Nic asks, feeling ashamed for going along with Stan's idea. She hadn't meant to cause Gina any worry. They had all planned on being out of the maze before she even got back from the snack bar.

"Yeah, she was really worried," the man says,"come on. Let's get you guys back to your mom."

The three kids turn and follow the man out of the maze.

When they exit the maze, the man points them to the bench Gina is sitting on. As soon as she sees the three children, she stands and slowly stalks towards them.

"Uh oh," Nic says, reading Gina's expression.

"Shit," comes from Stan who also knows exactly what they're in for.

Kate rushes to Gina, tears streaming down her face. Gina's arms wrap around the small blonde girl who is now sobbing.

"It-it was so s-scary," Kate cries,"I'm suh-sorry I went i-in."

Gina rubs the girl's back and hugs her tight,"It's alright, darlin'. I know you're sorry. Calm down, it's okay."

Kate pulls back and looks up at Gina who has no anger in her eyes.