• Flame •

Layla's POV

I stared at the house in front of me which hasn't changed since the last time I left it 3 years ago.

I took a deep breath and walked in, the cold breeze made me hug myself.

I left shortly after I received Mom's text, I couldn't contain my excitement. And I didn't inform Sinn cause he would ask me questions and if he finds out I'm going back to my father's place, he might not let me.

I'll just meet my mom and leave. Right, I don't need to feel nervous. It's not like father would be there.

I stepped inside my father's house which was huge but not as much as the one I'm currently residing in.

The living room where I used to hear my father's insults came into view and with that all the bitter memories I'd rather not relive.

I heard footsteps echo in the living room and the beating of my heart accelerated.

When I got my mother's text earlier, a thought did occur through my head; what if it's father's trap?

But I just wanted to meet my mother and I'd rather risk it being a trap.

And now that my eyes met those familiar ones, my inner child wanted to run away.

"I see that you're stupid enough to come here without thinking that it might be me who used your mother to reach you." Father's bitter words reached my ears and I stood frozen in my steps.

All the times he had insulted me and beaten me flashed through my head but I shook them away.

"I took the bait willingly." I retorted and he scoffed.

"Welcome back my dear daughter. It's nice to have you back after you ran away like a coward." He said and I tried to control my anger.

"Where's Mom?" I asked him cause I was growing anxious by the second since he welcomed me instead of her.

He tilted his head and a small smirk formed on his face. "Ah, you're here to meet your mother? Well, we'll have a whole family reunion now that you're back."

I was calculating his every move cause what I've learned over the years is that my father is an unpredictable man.

What he might do next, I wouldn't anticipate it.

Father snapped his fingers and I saw my mother walking out from one of the rooms. She looked depressed as she forced her body to walk.

"Meredith, look who's here," Father said to mom she looked up and her eyes widened when she saw me.

"Layla!" She sprinted towards me and hugged me tightly. I hugged her back and closed my eyes as I took in the smell of her and felt the warmth of her body.

"Mom, I'm here to take you with me," I told her and noticed as her body tensed hearing my words.

She pulled away from me slowly and I saw her cheeks wet with tears.

"I'm fine here Layla, why did you come back." Her face became sad saying those words and I felt a stinging sensation at the back of my eyes but I blinked my eyes smiling at her.

"I told you didn't I? I'll come back to take you. And I think right now is the best time to do it." I looked up at my father who was staring at us with the same smirk.

I brushed loose hairs from her face and saw her carefully. In these past 3 years, she has aged. Her eyes looked tired and it seemed as if she hasn't been able to sleep properly. But still, she looked beautiful like always.