chapter thirty-one

For hours, Ariel lied in bed. His head was a mess, and his life too. He still couldn't process what had just happened. He still couldn't realize how many changes were about to arrive in his life. He didn't want to realize.

In a few seconds he went from being the happiest person on Earth to loathing his whole life. He knew this was to come, but he didn't want this to happen. He wanted to stay free forever even though it wasn't possible. He knew it. All he could do was to accept this life and go against his wishes. Did he have any? He wasn't even sure. He had never thought of what he really wanted as he knew he would never get to choose.

He would rarely get out of his room anymore. His parents, especially his mother, suspected he was mad and upset because he would have preferred marrying someone else, in the person of Ivanna Flint. But like his father said, he had never expressed any interest for a specific girl so he took the decision himself. He let them believe that illusion, even though they were far from the truth.

The truth was that Ariel didn't want this life. And did like someone else. But he couldn't possibly tell them this fact. And even if he did, nothing would change. It was his life, his fate.

The only times Ariel would actually go out of his bedroom - usually for meals - the only thing his parents would talk about was this future union. His father seemed rather content to associate with the Parkinsons, while his mother just seemed delighted to see another one of her sons growing up and getting married.

"Oh, and you better have children quickly. Your brother is taking his time but I can't wait to have plenty of adorable grandchildren running in our house," she cooed, feeling excited at the thought.

"Yes, hurry up and give us a grandson. I want the name of my fathers to be extant for decades," rejoined his father right after.

Ariel ignored this remark and instead spoke to his mother, "Mother. You're young. You're only forty-two. Why would you want to be a grandmother so soon?"

"Oh darling, thank you, but I'm starting to get old you know."

"It doesn't look like so," he answered with a small smile that pleased his mother a lot.

She loved receiving compliments from him, and Ariel liked to see her delighted by the simplest things.

Ariel didn't reach out to Regulus anymore. Never. Not once during the whole holidays. And Regulus was worried. Until he received the invitation too. The news was announced by his mother.

"Regulus, son! Your dear friend Ariel is getting married," she told him one morning, looking rather delighted. Or acting delighted.

"Ariel? Getting married?" asked the boy shocked.

"Yes. You should show more support and joy," she hissed.

But Regulus could hardly show anything more than shock at this moment. "To whom? Who is he engaged to?"

"The young Daisy Parkinson. You know her right? What a charming girl she is. Perfect for Ariel I would say."

He felt sick. These words made him sick. It was unbearable to hear. A mix of jealousy, anger and sadness was formed in him. His stomach tightened into a knot and suddenly he felt the need to cry. But Regulus Black didn't cry. He shouldn't be crying. 'It's for the weak' had said his mother once after punishing Sirius for playing with the Muggle children of the neighborhood. Sirius had cried, enraging their mother even more. And Regulus had only witnessed that.