chapter ten

Daisy Parkinson wasn't the most hideous girl in the house of Slytherin. In fact, Ariel thought she was one of the least hideous. He now had a hard time determining if someone was good-looking or not as his eyes were stuck on one person and one person only. She was rather tall with long black hair that reached her waist, black piercing eyes, always a tight smile and an aloof expression and he was sure Daisy Parkinson was considered pretty among his housemates. She was seventeen like him and had just graduated from Hogwarts, which meant she was more ready than ever to get married.

Ariel knew he was a potential candidate to marry her, his father had already told him about that a few months ago. But he had mentioned so many girls in the meantime. Ariel knew Daisy. And not only from Hogwarts; he already had several occasions to court her. She had always been receptive to his charms, but looked so fake nonetheless. The blond boy only remembered how flat and uninteresting she was.

"Good evening Daisy. Are you having a good time tonight?"

"Good evening Ariel. I must say, much better ever since you're here," she answered, giggling.

And Ariel chuckled lightly to cover his sudden want to vomit.

"That's too kind of you Daisy. You know only your presence can light up the mood."

"You're being modest, but thank you anyway."

They exchanged wide fake smiles as they spoke, but it seemed so natural between them. Ariel disliked Daisy. He thought she was just another stupid girl who only wanted to get with him because of his good looks and reputation as a Malfoy. And that was true obviously.

As he made a light chat with her, his blue eyes found Regulus. He wasn't watching but he was in sight. And he couldn't be watching since he seemed into an entertaining conversation with Ariel's mother. It made him curious but he kept his focus on Daisy as she babbled some nonsense he had no wish to hear about. He was nodding his head to her every word but was caught up in his thoughts. Too caught up that he didn't realize Regulus was approaching them until Daisy stopped talking and the boy stood at their side.

"Daisy. Good evening."

"Good evening," she only muttered, the disappointment and irritation audible in her voice. She was clearly annoyed to see her interaction with Ariel put to an end so quickly

"Are you done talking yet?" he asked.

"I think yes. Isn't that right Daisy?"

"I... I... don't know."

"Oh, isn't that Parkinson here?" said an excited voice from behind.

Silas Flint came into view. "Hello guys. Good evening Parkinson."

"It seems like you found good company Daisy. I'm going to leave you then," quickly said Ariel was he took a hold of her hand and lightly brushed his lips against her knuckles before finally leaving, by the side of Regulus.

"You don't seem to like her very much."

"She's a pain," groaned an annoyed Ariel.

"I don't think you'll see her for the rest of the night at least."

Ariel felt somehow pained to hear how naive Regulus could be. Maybe he wouldn't see her for the night but having yet another interaction with that girl made him an even more potential fiancé for her. And so maybe he wouldn't see her for the rest of the night but he had now more chances to see her for the rest of his life. Which was a future far from being exciting.

"Anyway, what did you talk about with my mother?"

"Nothing in particular. She just told me you talked a lot about me..." he murmured looking at the older boy with a small smile which made him smile as well, and genuinely smile for the first time of the night. "And it made her happy since she thinks I'm a good boy."