chapter one

Winter 1976, Malfoy Manor

The wedding of Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black - now Malfoy - had been such a boring event. But as the best man of the groom, Ariel Malfoy had to keep a distinguished attitude. The young man had always been known for his elegant manners although people would rarely talk about him in comparison to his elder brother and father. However, recently, this boy had been gaining attention for his charismatic and good looks and he was now a major subject of discussion among all the ladies of his community. He had yet to have the same reputation as his relatives but rumors saying a Malfoy boy with a charming and flirty attitude that was in age of marrying were spreading like wildfire.

At least this day had some positive aspects. The first one being Narcissa - whom he greatly appreciated - that was now officially his sister-in-law, and the second being the fact that for once she was too busy greeting all sorts of guests, making her unavailable to introduce him some young girls in age of marrying too. And so, Ariel was enjoying this night of "freedom"  to do what he had been assigned to do : discuss, make acquaintances among guests as famous as his father, create his reputation, find a potential spouse of course... The usual for him ever since he was born, but these missions were now essential like had said his father as he was slowly approaching graduation. For Ariel it was still one year and a half away but for his father it was only a matter of months.

At the moment, Ariel was discussing with a couple in their sixties, mostly talking to the woman though. It was such a mere thing to get favors of ladies, with just a smirk of his finely-curved scarlet lips or a wave of his fair blond hair lightly brushing his forehead. It was enough to seduce them and make them approve of every one of his following words. His favorite subjects being obviously the rise of the Dark Lord as well as the supremacy of their pure blood, would keep everyone's attention anyway. Those people all adored hearing the amount of eloquence he would use to describe such awful and cruel acts and maybe he was taking a certain pleasure in receiving this much attention.

The man and the woman were closely listening to his every word, they were so focused on what he was saying that they didn't even notice the stare of Ariel slowly averting towards another direction. Not far behind the couple, the eyes of a boy, not much younger than him, were intently fixing him, showing he too seemed very much interested in his words. His expression didn't falter, he kept a charming look while looking back at him from time to time. Unfortunately, the boy had disappeared from sight by this end of his conversation, which was a small disappointment he must admit.

And as expected, his new sister-in-law came to find him.

"Ariel! There's the Rowle girl right there if you're interested," she whispered, showing a direction with her head. The Rowle girl was in fact there, looking at him in what she thought was in a discreet way, but he didn't show the least interest in her.

"I saw, yes, I'll greet her later. Anyway, Cissy you look splendid in that dress," he replied with a charming grin placed on his features. Like any other girl, Narcissa didn't resist his looks and blushed slightly at the compliment.

"Aw, still as gentlemanly Ariel, thank you."

As she finished her sentence, something caught her attention and she lightly grabbed Ariel's wrist, guiding him through the crowd.

"My baby cousin is hiding there. I haven't seen him yet," she said in an almost whining voice before adding, "Come greet him with me."

They walked together until reaching the opposite side of the large ballroom, and Ariel recognized the boy who was staring at him earlier.

"Hello Cissy. Congratulations," said the smooth voice of Regulus Black.

"Thank you Reg!" exclaimed Narcissa as she and her cousin shared a quick embrace. "I brought Ariel with me, but you've seen him before, right?"