Chapter 41

"You okay?" Frost was finishing up getting rid of the bigger bits of wood that are sticking out of his body. The rest of the wood will just have to fall off on its own. 

"I've been better," Spring brushed off some of the splinters and leaves from his arms, "Are we in the clear at least?" 

"For now," Whisper didn't slow down at all, if anything she was driving like they were still being pursued. "We need to make a quick stop though, to throw them off us for a while." 

They didn't question it, so far she hasn't lead them astray but sometimes she doesn't make any sense at all. 

"So we aren't going to Los Paraiso?" Lora asked, her voice just over a peep. 

"We are, but we are going to recruit one other person," she finally slowed down to speed limit, "We'll be there soon." 

It was only a few moments before she exited into the suburbs. Rows upon rows of streets lined with medium sized houses and a few happy families and dog walkers. 

It was almost so normal here that it was off-putting. 

"Where are we?" Frost was peaking through the window, fighting for the space with Spring. 

"Just no where," Whisper quickly parked on the side, "Stay here for me okay? Link, come with me. Weaver can we switch jackets?" 

"You go it," Weaver got out too, going to sit in the driver's seat as the others shifted their seats around so that they were a bit more comfortable. Weaver switched her trench coat for Whisper's oversized jacket. 

Whisper walked past all the houses to the nearby park filled with lovely paths and greenery. A few families having picnics and more dog walkers populated the area. 

With the kids at school there were many parents and adults enjoying the calm before the storm. 

She knew exactly where to go, beyond the crowds to a near abandoned side of the park where a closed off playground was. One that looked untouched for years. Litter was sprinkled around the ground and various shrubs and weeds concealed what used to be childhood fun. 

On the very far end of the playground was a large plastic swan with it's wings outstretched in a circle to make a little roof. A cove of sorts that kids used to love to hide under from the hot summer sun. Though one of the wings was dented from some sort of force. 

What used to be white detailing was covered in dirt and no longer that crisp white. The orange and black paint that was once the face was chipped and worn, barely any semblance of a swan except for the face shape.

There used to be more plastic swan statues for the kids to climb on, back when the lake was fuller and well kept. But soon the growth and neglect forced the swans to leave, leaving behind the damaged one.

"Hello?" Whisper spoke like she was ignorant, but she was making a beeline to the swan. There was simply a pile of leaves right in the center, hiding a pile of stolen food and drinks. "I know you're there Quinn." 

There was a waver in the shadows, a hooded silhouette of a young man emerged.  Almost snake-like with his arms by his side until he was fully standing upright. 

First the details of his clothes began showing up. The wrinkles of his clothes to the individual strands of his hair. Then his deep hazel eyes began to glow, or at least was brighter than his completely dark appearance. Tan skin with matted black hair sticking to different parts of his face, and sunken cheeks and eyes. 

He looked inches away from death. 

"Hello Quinn, I'm Whisper," she didn't make a move to approach him or look alarmed at all. 

Most people would either try to fight him or just run away. It helps spread the word of the 'Ghost Boy' and more people would keep away from his home. 

"How do you know my name?" He was steadfast, feeling a bit confident from their size differences but a bit concerned that he didn't know if she was carrying a weapon or if she also has a power. 

"I too have a gift," Whisper poked her head to emphasize her point, "I know things." 

"Then you know what I am?" He really wasn't concerned at all. Deep down he felt as if he can trust her. Maybe it was her small stature and innocent looking face, or maybe it was her knowing smile and bright eyes. 

"You are a shadow," Whisper took a step forward, and he remained still just watching her, "You are a shadow of your former self and a shadow of your present." 

"And what does that mean for my future?" Quinn was so tired, just surviving off of dumpster food and showers in the rain. 

As cheesy as this dialogue is, it was how Whisper was going to hook, line, and sinker. Someone like Quinn was just wanting for something to give him purpose. 

He wasn't ready to leave this world, but he wasn't ready to be a part of it either. Maybe this woman can give him a purpose. 

"Well that's for you to decide right?" She shut her mouth, a slight tingle in his head got him to flicker slightly. "Would you like to come with me and my friends?" 

Her mouth a still closed, throwing him off completely. 

"Y-you're a telepath?" He wanted to put a label on her powers, not just 'knowing things.' 

"No," mouth still motionless, "Just one of my friends." 

"Are they around?" He took his eyes off her completely, fully trusting her with this action. "Your friends?" 

"Yes they are, and they are waiting for me so make your decision soon Mr. Triste." 

He fell silent, looking back to the swan that he called home for almost 5 years of his life. The swan that was first put there when he was 6 years old. Now he's 22 and it's been watching over him. 

"Do you ever think that the ugly duckling was abandoned again after the story ended?" Quinn muttered to himself, just his own thoughts being spoken aloud. "He probably did right? Being pretty only gets you so far, being different is what people remember you by." 

"Who knows," Whisper looked around the park, pretending to be fascinated by the scenery. "But what is your decision Quinn?" 

"I'll go with you," he looked at the swan one last time, "Mind if you open up your coat? The sun isn't too kind on me." 

"Of course," she opened up her coat jacket, a perfect home for a shadow man before he goes out into the wide world. His form went back into a black mass and leading with his hand it was like was absorbed into the dark wrinkles and crevices of her jacket. "Welcome to the team Quinn." 

Just call me Phantom.