Chapter 17

"Targets are approaching the area, ETA 2 minutes."

Conrad and his team had arrived at the encounter point, waiting for the unarmed pair to just walk into their trap. Half his team had spread out a possible escape routes while he was going to take out Mateo himself.

The other two were in charged of grabbing the woman. All were positioned casually around the parking lot, like they were all workers of the building going home after a long day.

Eventually the pair appeared, Mateo seeming like he's listening to the Project talk. Both appeared unaware about what is about to happen.

Conrad was first, going straight to Mateo and taking a swing at him, only for Mateo to block him just in time. The two suddenly engaging in an intense scuffle.

The woman behind him looked determined, eyeing the left side of his belt where his gun was hidden under his clothing. Conrad kept a partial eye on her, slightly expecting her to make a break for it, but instead she leap forward, ducking around to avoid being hit by either of the men.

The two others had also expected her to run, so one pulled out her gun while the other went into closer, trying to get a clear view of Clarise who had gone for Conrad's gun.

Mateo managed to pin Conrad slightly, giving Clarise enough time to undo the latch over Conrad's gun and she just managed to pull it out until Conrad suddenly knocked it out of her hands, effectively pushing Mateo away as he and Clarise dove for the gun.

Somehow he grabbed it before he, and aimed it right at her face, only for Mateo to tackle him down, the two beginning to fight for the gun.

This isn't what I said, what should I do?

Turn around and take a step back!

She moved just in time to both slip out of the other man's grip and stood right in front of the line of fire, protecting Mateo from the other woman who aimed at him.

What do I do?

Before she could even answer herself, Mateo and Conrad made it back on their feet, Conrad trying to shoot Mateo but Mateo fought back before he could even fire a shot.

Finding his footing Mateo hit Conrad's gun arm away from him, effectively going for two punches, one to Conrad's stomach and anther square in his jaw.

What can I do?

Mateo has Conrad distracted, if I move away from him Mateo will be shot by Jennifer Grant. Ethan O'Keith will keep trying to grab me, so I must engage with him.

What?

Her mind was racing, but she knew what to do. Turning fully to Ethan she crouched a bit, eyeing his right shoulder closely.

He went to grapple her, an attempt to pin her to the ground and capture her. She pulled her arm away just in time, stepping forward towards the inside of his body, taking a straight hand and jabbing it right into his shoulder. Pain immediately shot through his body, causing him to stumble backwards slightly.

She knew if his old injury too. This is a problem.

It was harder that she was supposed to come out of this unharmed, so he couldn't be as forceful as he wanted for fear of triggering whatever her ability is.

"Ethan!" Jennifer trained her gun back on the woman, who suddenly locked eyes with her. "You bitch!"

"Wait don't!" Ethan jumped in front of Clarise, right as Jennifer fired. It was a non-lethal shot, a rubber bullet, but at this close of a range it would've done some severe damage to the frail-looking woman. It hit Ethan square in the chest, knocking the air right out of him and feeling like it broke something inside of him.

Clarise took the opportunity to grab Ethan's gun, pointing it right back at Jennifer.

How do I use this?

Pull that switch to turn off the safety, hold both hands on this part of the gun and put your pointer on the trigger.

"Shit." Jennifer muttered under her breath, looking to Conrad who still seems engrossed with Mateo. This was supposed to be easy. "Captain!"

Conrad managed to peer behind Mateo to see that the woman was now armed, Ethan on the ground writhing in pain. Newfound strength surged through him as he finally got Mateo onto the ground, about to shoot right between his eyes but the end of his barrel was met with another gun.

Clarise had crouched to protect Mateo from the back, knowing that Jennifer won't fire at her, and positioned the her arms around Mateo's head, aiming right at Conrad. She had some idea how to shoot but no idea how to aim, luckily she guided herself.

We need to surrender now, the people behind us will not shoot, nor will Conrad.

Clarise began to whisper into Mateo's ear, her eyes never breaking away from Conrad's. Everyone was at a stalemate. But she soon relaxed her grip on the gun, letting it rest in one of her hands as she brought both her hands up, Mateo doing the same.

A bit thrown off by their actions, Conrad signaled for Jennifer to take the gun away from Clarise, and motioned for Mateo to lay down on the ground to which Mateo did so, putting his hands behind his head to top it all off.

"This is Conrad," Conrad was pressing his comm on his ear, "Both the targets are secured, requesting extraction."

"Roger Conrad, an extraction vehicle has been sent to your location."

Clarise soon laid beside Mateo, her hands being cuffed behind her back like Mateo's.