Chapter 19

"He is still alive, along with 2 other members of his team. They are all lost somewhere in the abandoned mines in the Alaskan Mountains." Mateo was surprised at all the information she was giving, he almost couldn't keep up, "If you send a search team on the the Lakerose path, there should be an opening to the mine near the base of the Heartmount mountain. The tunnel that leads to where your brother has caved in. He and his team have about 3 more day from now until all three die."

The van was silent again, they were all exchanging looks. This was more intel than they had ever received, and no one knows if it is any good.

Conrad on the other hand, was utterly shocked. His little brother had been missing for so long he considered that he was dead, but hearing he was alive was enough to bring back his hope.

He quickly pulled out his phone calling up a friend of his.

"Catharine, I need a favor can you send a search team to Heartmount mountain? I'll send you more information when we get to the base." Conrad's team all exchanged looks, Clarise on the other hand felt like she had a headache coming on.

This is like when the researchers swarmed her with questions. Too many questions about the future gave her a headache.

Other than that, there were really no repercussions to her abilities.

"Are you sure we can trust her?" Peter leaned forward to get a good look at her, locking eyes with her before she returned to staring at Mateo.

"She says that Peter, your fiancé is cheating on you -" Mateo paused, completely shocked by the news.

"What?!" Peter immediately stood, grabbing onto Mateo and pinning him to the side of the van, "What the hell did you just say?!"

"Peter!"

"Peter stop it!"

"Peter," Conrad grabbed his should, pulling him off of Mateo, "Stand down."

Letting out a growl Peter released him, sitting back down on his seat and pulling out his phone, typing away at someone.

"Are you serious?!" Mateo coughed out, looking to Clarise is utter shock. "Her cousin?!"

Jennifer let out an audible gasp, slapping her hand over her mouth. She's met Peter's fiancé before, and she's always rubbed her the wrong way. Guess this is why. The others shared similar sentiments at the news.

Conrad looked down at her, blocking her view of Mateo and vice versa. She stared fearlessly back at him. Once again the two were locked in another staring contest, almost a battle of the wills.

Clarise was trying to decipher how he went against her powers.

Conrad was trying to figure out how her powers worked.

Who are you?

The questioned echoed in both their minds, but one was dissatisfied with the answer and the other didn't know the answer.

Conrad soon sat back down, meeting the glare of Mateo and returning it with a indifferent stare.

The tension in the van was so thick, it was almost hard to breath.

28 minutes until we arrive.

What a horribly long time.

Clarise didn't even realize she didn't prompt herself. So many things happened in the span of a few days, she's hardly had time for her self-discovery. If Dr. Kadea was still alive, he would be having the time of his life taking all the data regarding these newfound irregularities in her abilities.

"You have going to be fucking kidding me," Peter broke the silence after a while, tucking his phone back into his pocket, choosing to stare at the van's back doors like they were the most interesting thing in the world. He had a lot on his mind now that he realized the truth, not even bothering to think of how that Project could possibly know of his fiancé's disgusting affair.

But this gave Conrad even more hope. She was right about Peter's fiancé, so the chances are higher than she is right about his brother.

The rest of Conrad's team had their own questions, but held them off for now. Though it was human nature to want answers for the unknown, but typical humans don't have such easy access to these answers.

"How did you know that?" Peter finally snapped, leaning back over to get a good look at Clarise's face. His mind was in a jumble, but one thing was certain. He was furious. "Huh? How did you know that Rebecca was cheating on me?"

Clarise just stared back at him coldly. She did not feel like giving him the answers, nor did she bother asking herself that question. The last time she questioned her abilities, the answers gave her an instant migraine that lasted a whole week. No pain killers nor sleeping aides were of any use to her.

Apparently there were certain questions that were beyond her.

Mateo leaned, catching Peter's attention, "I think we asked her enough questions for today." He's heard that there are limits to all of the Project's abilities, and he was afraid he'll reach hers.

"Yes, I don't think we should push it," Conrad chimed in, "Not until we know the full scope of what she can do."

25 more minutes.

This was unbearable.