Big Family

Wesley

I was radiating with joy since I left Dr. Phil's office. I knew where else I was going to stop for the weekend, for my joy to be complete. I sat in the backseat of a taxi, looking out the window, watching every kid on the street with joy.

"I'm going to be a father! I'm fuckin' going to be a father! Whoa!" I screamed out of my wound down window.

"Congratulations man!" The taxi driver smiled with a nod.

As he drove down the familiar road, the road that held so many childhood memories. I grinned, unlike the last day I drove this road, it was the Christmas before last year, I was stuck with Helena's complaints and nags. She was either complaining of the music or my speed. I was way too fast or too slow, the music either wasn't her style or it was too loud. She'd sighed at every occasion deadening my spirit.

But here I was, alone with the driver, happy and expectant. I had always wondered what it was like to be expecting a baby! Now I understood the feeling. This joy was overwhelming. Gennie had better not been lying to me. It was quite amazing how just one news could transform a broken man.

He turned into our driveway. I smiled when I spotted the cars I knew so well parked outside our home. Glad they were home.

When I walked through the double doors, the living room was the same with the same brown rug and brown leather couches. Picture frames mom had hung on the white walls years ago we're still there, but there were new frames of her grandchildren added next to the old frames.

I met Arnold, my eldest brother in the living room, his face suddenly creased in a subliminal frown before it dissolved into a wide grin when he noticed me. His nine-year-old son, Nathan ran towards me, screaming my name in joy. I ruffled the little boy's hair as he hugged me. It felt so good.

I looked up from his head to see my mom coming in through the hallway. I walked towards her, grinning.

"I'm not dead if that's what you came to check!" Dad propelled his wheelchair into the living room, in a white t-shirt chuckling.

He had been on a wheelchair since an accident claimed his legs several years ago, but his hope of walking someday was still intact, the orthopedic surgeon had confirmed there was every possibility of his bones having strength again. But from the look of things, it was most likely the other fifty percent chances of total recovery was slim.

"Arnold please kill the fattest cow, one of my prodigal sons is back!" His croak voice came closer as his wheelchair.

I joined Arnold in laughing. Mom pulled me to a hug. Just like I was still his little boy. I missed her motherly pampering, her scent, and cooking. I really missed her.

"You look so thin, boy. Is the army stressing you?" She whispered when she pulled back.

"Or is it that bitch of your wife!?!" Beatrice, my sister came out of the kitchen. She looked older and different from the last time I saw her.

Mom glared at her as she rolled her eyes. I chuckled.

I can't believe how much I had missed all of them. Someone slipped into my arms, I looked down at the little face that was hugging me, Angelina, Joe's daughter, she'd grown too, everyone did.

"Where's Joe?" I asked searching the room for my twin brother, we weren't identical, most people argued he was the oldest, I was actually the oldest of the twin, I was the third son then Joe.

"He dropped them off but would be back before dinner!" Mom answered.

"Give it back! It's mine!" Henry and Jay ran into the living room. Henry ran giggling behind me, shielding himself from Jay's fury.