Spill!

Gennie

I was panicking, beads of perspiration dampened my creased forehead. Emily's puzzled gaze was fixed on my sweaty face, I looked everywhere but her face, extremely nervous!

"Don't make me ask again! What's wrong with you?" She asked sternly, her eyes fixed on my face.

"Nothing I'm fine, for real!" I lied, inspecting my fingernails.

"You don't look fine to me, throughout last week you've been sick, although you never admit it, what is wrong with you? At first, I thought it was about me getting married and leaving you alone but now I think it's more than that, Gennie tell me the truth!" Her tone was now low, she drew closer, taking my hand in a light stroke.

I looked away, tears filled my eyes, blurring my vision. I sniffed, blinking away the tears that were threatening to drop. Emily pulled me to a hug.

"You can tell me anything, we're friends, I've told you way dirtier things. So there's nothing to hide, c'mon spill!"

I couldn't bear this anymore, my mind was a swirl of confusion, I couldn't sleep for some nights now. My dark eyes and lean figure were loud enough to tell Emily everything wasn't alright with me. We'd been there for over two hours yet, I couldn't breathe a word. Not like I didn't trust her, but I just couldn't tell her. I snapped out of her comforting arms.

"I have nowhere to go today, my phone's down so there would be no emergency calls, so if you're not going to spill now, I'll wait until whenever! What's so difficult for you to say? Geez!" She shrugged, looking apprehensively at me.

Kicking her legs, she fell on the sofa.

She was right, there was nothing so difficult to say. Maybe telling Emily would make it less burdensome, Emily had so many ideas in her head, so maybe she would have one on how to clear the mess I had made.

Sniffing, I left the living room, Emily looked at me without saying a word. I went straight into my bedroom, straight to where my bathroom kit was. With shaky hands and many considerations, brought out the pregnancy test tube I just couldn't discard.

When I returned, Emily was now on the television, she looked up at me as I got closer. I handed her the test tube. She looked suspiciously at me before looking at the small plastic in her hand.

Emily gasped, immediately placing her palm over her mouth. Her head tilted up, her wide eyes on me again. I stared at her, not knowing how to react.

"Oh my God! Gennie! Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Obviously, she was shocked.

She quickly came closer, pulling me to another brief hug.

"I'm pregnant Emily, I'm pregnant and Wesley is the father!" Exhausted and tearful, I blubbered into the crook of her neck.

"Oh no! Shh! It's okay, you'll be okay!" She assured.

"No, I won't, I don't think I would be! I'm pregnant!" I reiterated.

"Unlike you to be careless, did his size swat your brains that you forgot to use protection?" She deadpanned, trying to lighten my mood with the joke.

"He did use protection, I'm sure of that!"

"Then his condom failed! It broke, that happens a lot!" She released me.

I sat erect and pouted. "I thought as much."

"Are you going to keep it?" She asked.

That was the same question I had asked myself all day and all night, a half-cast, how was it going to change my life?