Fair or Fail

Wesley

Pregnant? Gennie pregnant for me? What was going on? It didn't sit well, just wasn't possible. I had to find out the truth about the sudden baby news.

I drummed my fingers on the small table, lost in thoughts of the possibility of Gennie getting pregnant for me.

Immediately, I put a call across to a friend, a friend that I haven't spoken to in almost seven years now. We had held our friendship only on medical grounds, but apart from medical grounds, he was much more like a mentor to me. He was my personal doctor, one I felt some years ago I wouldn't need anytime soon. But with the sudden news from Gennie, I had to find out from him what really was going on. There couldn't have been two failures in one sex. First, the condom broke and then failed vasectomy? that was way impossible. Too much of a coincidence!

I patiently waited until his groggy voice came through. After seven long years, his voice was still the same, I hoped he looked the same.

"Doctor Phil?" I asked when I heard his voice.

There was a pause at the other end.

"Mr. Adams?" I heard him ask, but it sounded much like a gasp. Looked like he was shocked I called.

Oh! The old man still had my number. That was a good thing 'cause it saved me from the unnecessary introductions.

"Yeah! Phil, it's Wesley!"

"Finally you called!" He said. Finally, you called? Was he expecting me to?

"Would you be in the office tomorrow? I want to book an appointment!"

"Sure I'll be free by one pm tomorrow!" He replied.

"Alright Phil, I'll be in Texas tomorrow, so see you by one."

"I'll be in my office, it's been a very long time I last heard from you Wesley, how are you and Helena?"

"I'm fine, Helena's..." I searched for the right words to use, when none came to mind, I simply shrugged, "she's in good shape!" And didn't want to linger on before I was impatient enough to spill my guts, quickly, I said my goodbyes.

I threw my phone on the white couch, the fragile thing fell with a soft thud, bouncing before it went motionless.

I went to the kitchen, I needed something to drink, something that'll help my swirling mind, took out a can of beer from the fridge, chugged it, and settled on a chair in the kitchen.

A child? Carrying my child?

That was as impossible as it sounded. I shuddered as it all came to my mind, eight years ago came right back to my mind as the consequences of our young, free and wildlife floated on my mind like a log on water.

Was this a second chance?

~

The next day, I sat in doctor Phil's spacious office. An office assistant, a tall lanky girl in white dropped two mugs of coffee on the table and quietly left.

"I'm wondering what on earth reminded you of me, Wesley you've grown so manly, last time I saw you, you were, let me guess, twenty-three? Wow! How time flies!" Dr. Phil slapped me on my shoulder, sometime he usually did.

He had grown white hairs already in his sixties, but he still had some sort of youthful finesse.

"You didn't grow those white hairs, Phil! I guess a lot has changed!" I laughed, glancing at his office, "the office's still the same, nothing much has changed!"

"How's Helena? I was hoping to see her as well! It's been long I heard from her, you two were the perfect couple!" Phil smile at me cluelessly, taking his coffee mug to his mouth.