14. I've got questions

A/N: warning: mentions of self harm

Nina's POV:

Star and I were sitting on the bleachers after school ended. Our practice was cancelled last minute and we both didn't have a ride back early. So we decided to stay back.

It's been a week since her confession and I've got questions to ask her but I'm not sure if she wants to talk about it. "Do you wanna talk about it?" I blurted out. Curiosity got the best of me. She looked at me only to look away immediately but nodded.

"So.. Uhm... since when?" It felt stupid and awkward to ask but I was curious. Regardless, she answered. "Since November I guess. I mean, uh, I kinda had a crush on you long before but.. uhm I didn't realize it until December." That was weirdly specific.

"Okay" I nodded, taking it in. She was blushing and it was so adorable and cute. It made me smile. The warm and fuzzy feeling was making its appearance but I chose to ignore it.

"Do you wanna walk around? We've got some more time" I asked in hopes of her saying yes. And so she did. We walked around the track, talking about books and people and other random stuff. It felt nice. Not awkward like I had expected. I was almost happy to hear her liking me for reasons I don't know. Maybe I knew but I chose to act oblivious.

Soon we parted ways but we kept texting each other as much as we could. I found myself flirting with her endlessly but I didn't feel bad. It was almost instinctively happening. She didn't seem to complain and so we both let it happen. But that was the mistake I did. Or so I thought I felt.

A few months later..

Finals was just around the corner along with summer break. Just the thought of exams gave me headache. Everyone was stressing out and pulling all nighters to finish studying so they could go to senior year. Of course no one was keen to spend another year as junior.

I haven't been spending much time with anyone other than books, not counting the few times I had to help Star from breaking down and stop self harming. Not that I've been constantly studying. Just trying and that requires a lot of effort. But I did well. I may not get A+ in every subject but enough to keep my parents satisfied. I was keen to spend the summer without worrying about anything.

Star's POV:

Finals. That's one word I hate too much. It sucks. As I've been failing classes regularly I've been threatened to score good grades to be promoted as senior. I'm surprised they didn't detain me already. But it was hard to concentrate. Something's wrong with me but I didn't know what, let alone how to improve. I was terrible and my mom was too disappointed in me.

It pushed me over the edge. And I did what seemed like a good idea. Self harm. It was painful yes but also relieving. I had to release the pain somehow and it was one my ways. The other was punching but I almost broke my knuckle and it wasn't easy to hide that.

Anyhow, I somehow managed to pass my finals. Barely scraped through but it was something. It was a small miracle to me. It wasn't like me to be like this but it didn't occur to me to change a bit. Yes I might have stopped cutting once Nina found out but for how long? It'll be revealed soon.

Summer break. The most favourite 2 months. Tossing my bag into the closet I began my Netflix list of what to watch over the 2 months. Even though we were going on a little trip with my aunt's family, I could tell this was going to be boring.

The 1st month was spent watching Netflix constantly. My parents were too busy to complain. After our little trip I decided to hang out with my friends.

In the second month, I caught up with Lindsay and Allen.The others and I drifted apart. I wasn't that surprised. Glad to have real friends.

It was also the month of Nina's birthday and mine which was at the end though. So I decided to give her a sweet present with a hand written letter. Cliché, I know but it made her happy. A few days after her birthday...

1 new message

Opening my messages I jumped in excitement, earning weird looks from my sister. Nina had asked me to come over. To hangout. I immediately accepted. As if I'd pass up the chance to be with her. It had been so long since I met her as she had to go on a trip with her family. I was over excited and nervous wreck at the same time. I didn't expect anything to happen obviously. But what happened next was unexpected.

A/N: it's short but the next one is a bit long. Thanks for reading. Vote and comment!