10|Monster

"Aurélien, you can't believe that the entire concept of law enforcement should be disbanded

"Aurélien, you can't believe that the entire concept of law enforcement should be disbanded. There would be chaos," Carlisle said, flabbergasted. They were currently locked in a debate about corrupt institutions, the cause of which had already been forgotten.

"No of course not. A major and complete shift from any one system to another, caused by force and not a gradual change, almost always has long-term detrimental effects which would probably doom it, even if at its core, it's a good idea. That is why the fight to overthrow the French monarchy was such a difficult one," Aurélien countered. "What I am saying is that law enforcement is a corrupt institution. Even though it's purpose is to do good, and many of it's members seek to do good, there are those in power who will always misuse it to the misfortune of the vulnerable. Just like the monarchy and the church, both institutions that can be just if those in power are, but corrupt if those in power aren't. If a guilty person is let go or an innocent one incarcerated, who is at fault? The law, or the ones who implement it? The system, or the way it is used?"

"Aurélien makes a good point. A lot of people suck," Emmett added on in his usual ineloquent manner. He was a quite a smart person — education wise, not common sense wise — but it didn't often show in the way he talked.

"Exactly. For example, Donald Trump. Nigel Farage. Adolf Hitler—"

"Who wouldn't have been such a large problem if you'd let me, Rosalie and Aurélien deal with him. It would've taken us minutes. We were in Germany at the time anyway," Emmett complained, having had his heart very set on tossing Hither of the top of a tall building. He was of course referring to the time during the Second World War that the Cullen's devoted to smuggling people out of Nazi occupied countries and getting them to safety, as one does.

"Yes, in Germany helping people escape persecution. Something which has only positive repercussions. Murdering Hitler under mysterious circumstances would've landed the blame at the door of innocents. Besides, someone would've likely just replaced him," Carlisle fired back. "And before you say you could've just killed all the Nazis, an improbable feat, it still wouldn't have fixed things. You cannot remove an ideology completely, especially not all at once. Proved by the fact that we have Nazis once again."

And with that, Emmett surrendered, and the three of them walked downstairs to where the rest of the family — minus Edward, who was holed up in his room like a vampire hermit — was gathered.

"Bella's alibi for the fight had been established. Charlie thinks you're all going camping and she's having a sleepover with me," Alice trilled excitedly, bouncing on the balls of her feet in anticipation of their approaching hunt.

"And what will she really be doing?" Aurélien asked in amusement. With her excited aura and petite frame, Alice looked like a child in a sweet shop.

"Having a sleepover with Edward."

"Oh, get it Eddy boy," Emmett hollered, knowing Edward could hear him from his room. This elicited snickers from Aurélien and Rosalie.

"I doubt it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Edward has taken a vow of celibacy for the rest of his life," Aurélien responded, fully on board with Emmett's attempts to rile their brother.