9|You're Happy

"How old are you?"

"How old are you?"

"194 years old. The second oldest in my family after Carlisle," Aurélien answered with a grin. He enjoyed his birthday immensely, no matter how many times it came around. He always did something big, something to remind himself that he was still alive (technically). One of Aurélien's most memorable birthdays was seeing Queen live with Rosalie and Emmet, who he promptly ditched to hang out back stage with the band.

"Wow. So that means you were born....." Aurélien glanced down at Seth, whose head was resting on his shoulder, and smiled when he saw the adorable way in which the younger boy's face was scrunched up.

"1816. January the 20th, 1816," Aurélien supplied, deciding to help Seth out rather than leaving him floundering with a difficult mental maths question so early on a Sunday morning.

"How did you—I mean when did—" Seth stuttered, unsure how to phrase his question and afraid of offending Aurélien.

"1832. I was sixteen."

"Sixteen?"

"Yes. Have you ever heard of the June Rebellion?" Seth nodded and admitted that he'd watched Les Misérable an embarrassing amount of times. "Well that was how I died. I was always attracted to the idea of fighting for a cause, and when....my friend told me that he was part of it, I wanted to join."

"Do you regret it?" Seth asked.

"No. A death with meaning is better than one without, for me at least."

"What about your human life? Your family and friends?"

"I don't remember being human very clearly. It's like...looking through photos that are slightly blurry. You know what they are, what's happening, but you can't quite recall the image perfectly," Aurélien explained, comparing his vivid post transformation memories to his foggy human ones in the back of his mind. "I've come to terms with my life, with outliving my family. We were never too close. And my friends I had already lost at the barricade."

"Why weren't you close with your family?" Seth questioned with a frown. He was close to both his parents — which was why it had hurt him so much when his father had passed — and his sister too, despite her being a few years older than him. Seth could only recall a childhood of fond memories and good times, he couldn't imagine being estranged from his own flesh and blood.

"My father was a busy man. He had a very important job in government— more important than his own family — which he never bothered to explain to me. My mother spent most of her time attending and hosting events, and she left my care to servants," Aurélien explained casually, no residual bitterness left in his heart for his emotionally absent parents. That life was over now, and so was all the pain and unhappiness from it. Well, almost all the pain. Some things still haunted him. "I had no siblings, only two aunts who weren't much older than me, and who insisted on forcing me to participate in all their foolish endeavours."