Chapter 3. Shy?

"Idli!" I quickly grabbed two pieces and put them in my mouth.

"Hot.. hot...hot!" My tongue got burned and my eyes teared up.

My mother laughed at me and handed me a glass of water. I gulped it down and began munching on more idlis. My favorite.

 My favorite

( Idlis👆)

"Come, Sandhya. I will be dropping you off to college today," Dad announced and folded the newspaper he was reading.

My eyes zeroed in on a picture in the paper, and I grabbed it before he put it on the table. I narrowed my eyes on the photo of a boy.

"Since when did you start reading the news?" Dad joked but I was too busy burning holes through the paper.

"Hurry up." He picked up his scooter keys and went out. I threw the paper aside, angered with what I saw and followed after him. My whole mood went down.

I took the pillion seat and dad started the scooter. It jerked few times before it started, and I scolded dad to buy a new one. This metal junk was even older than me. Finally, it started and dad drove through the traffic, humming an old song and enjoying his ride. Whereas I was lost in my thoughts.

Was the boy in the newspaper the one I was thinking he was?

He sure got ahead of me. He got featured in one of the leading newspapers. What was I doing with my life? I felt really disappointed with myself.

I was brought back to reality when the scooter stopped abruptly and my head banged against dad's helmet.

"Hop down, kiddo. We have arrived," he announced.

"Thanks, dad." I waved him goodbye and went towards the college.

"What's with the sour mood in the morning?" Surbhi asked as she joined me.

"Nothing." I gave her a small smile.

"Wanna grab something to eat?" She licked her lips.

"You didn't have breakfast?" I asked.

"I did."

"Bhukkad (Foodie)," I teased.

"Sukdu (Skinny)," she replied.

"Hi, girls," Parth greeted.

"Hi, Parth," we said in unison.

Parth was dressed in a baby blue button down and brown pants. He looked so good in it.

"So, did you get the news?" he asked.

"What news?" Surbhi's eyes sparked up and a bread crumb fell out of her mouth.

"Don't speak with your mouth full." I gave her a tissue.

"I didn't know you were into gossip, Parth," I teased.