Chapter Six four

Jumoke

Staying at home was interesting in the first week, but after one week I got bored.
I spent one week at my cousin's, my mum called me back home, saying she needed somebody in the house, to do house chores, of course.

Chioma usually came around and I would go to her place too. We talked about books, movies, boys, girls, celebrities and fashion. We would watch movies and also practice makeup artistry.

Henry took Chioma and I out one time. He took us to his house first and we met his elder sister, Helen. She was quite talkative, but her kind was interesting. Then we went out to an eatery owned by Henry's uncle.

NECO began the next week. The questions were easier than that of WAEC. A lot of people said even though the questions were easy, you would still get C in most subject. Tunde had confirmed that to me.

All of us, prefects wrote NECO, the principal literally forced us to. NECO wasn't as interesting as WAEC because we were only few writing it.

The invigilators that were brought for NECO were more strict. We were not even allowed to turn our heads. Sneezing was a great offense, you had to sneeze quietly.

We were having Biology tomorrow, it was remaining two subjects for me. I went home immediately the paper was over.

I was in the kitchen washing the plate I used to eat when mum shouted my name from the living room.

"Jumoke!! Come here, fast!"

I ran to the sitting room faster than the speed of light. The way she called my name made me think something bad had happened.

Nigerian mothers and the way they scream one's name is so annoying.

"Mummy, what happened?" I asked with fear in my voice.

"They just said on the news that WAEC results have been released." She replied calmly.

Is this not the same woman that just screamed my name like the house was on fire?

I calmed down a little. "Is that why you shouted my name like that?"

She glared at me. "If I slap you, you'll go and take your phone and start searching for your WAEC results. Is it not so important for me shout?"
She immediately took her phone and called Dad who was on a business trip in Dubai and informed him that the results have been released.

I went to take my phone and went to the website to check  WAEC results. The website server crashed because a lot of people were checking it at the same time I was.

"Mummy, their server has crashed, so I can't check it now."

"Keep checking it o, it'll soon show." She said.

Didn't this woman hear me?
I said server has crashed.

I kept checking till eleven pm and I was tired and frustrated. I was so anxious and afraid at the same time.

"Go and sleep. You'll check it tomorrow morning." Mum said.

Dad called and asked if we had seen it and I told him no. He said I should calm down and go to bed. But who would go to the bed in this type of situation?
WAEC and JAMB are destiny changers.

I went to my room but I didn't sleep. I was thinking about my results. If I failed, Dad was going to sell me to his village people.
I didn't know when I fell asleep.

I woke up the next day very early and checked again. It still didn't show. I went back to sleep and woke up at seven am. I brushed my teeth and took a long, warm bath.