Chapter Forty three

Jumoke

WAEC had commenced already, last two weeks Wednesday, to be precise. Today's Tuesday.
Science students had data processing the day it began. They weren't given expo at all, the principal had initially stressed that they're on their own and that no answers will be given. He told them if they read hard, they'll pass....except if they're following you from your village.

Our school has never been known for giving expo anyway, that's why we weren't so many cos most parents want a school where they give expo in their final exams.

That's how bad leaders are created.

Today, science students were having chemistry practical.
I was waiting for Tunde so we could leave for school. He went upstairs to get his practical textbook.

Dad was driving us to school. According to him, it isn't good for a student to trek to an exam hall. He had been driving us since the beginning of Waec.

"Let's go", he said as he came downstairs.

"Wait, lemme bring my anointing oil", Mom went upstairs and came back with Goya anointing oil.

Trust Nigerian parents to anoint you before an exam. They'll anoint your head,your eyes, your hands, even your pen.

Mom prayed for him and anointed him before we left.

"Make sure you're at ease. Don't fidget at all, stay calm, read the questions carefully, follow the instructions. I hope you didn't forget your calculator", dad asked as we approached the school.

"It's in my bag", Tunde affirmed but dad asked him to check again, just to be sure.

He pulled over at the gate and we got down. "The Lord be with you", dad prayed and we said amen then he drove off.

I gave Tunde a side glance. He looked calm, too calm that someone will think he didn't have a chemistry practical exam at all. Every science student knows how tricky it is. Tunde was never someone to fret.

He brought out his lab coat and put it on, ready to ascend the stairs.

"Good luck", I told him before he went upstairs to the chemistry lab to prepare for the exam.

Speaking of exams, ours, that's the normal students, was commencing next month.

_____________

"How was your paper?" I asked Tunde during the break.

"Twas good. Easier than I expected", he replied while folding his lab coat.

"Thank God. Are you going home?"

"Of course. What do you expect me to do here in school?" He put his lab coat on his bag and slung it over his shoulder.

"How many papers do you have left?" I quizzed.

"I've done four. Remaining five, excluding practicals. I would be done next two weeks".

"What do you have tomorrow?"

"Technical drawing."

"After that?"

"Basic Electricity. Come oh, are you WAEC? Why are you questioning me like this?"

I rolled me eyes. "Duh. Is it bad to ask my brother about his exams?"

"Whatever. I'm going home". He started to walk away.

"Em....Tunde," I called.

"What? You want money?"

"No. If there's nothing at home, Pleasssse, cook something for me", I begged.