Chapter Thirteen

Jumoke

   I was heading home with Chioma and Sandra. I turned back and noticed Jerome was walking alone while his friends were ignoring him and chatting animatedly. What's the problem?

Without thinking,I turned back and started walking towards Jerome. He was looking at the ground moodily so he didn't notice me.

"Hi," I muttered.

  He looked up and stared at me with scrunched brows,scrutinizing me, probably to check if something was wrong with me.

"Hi," He replied.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing, I'm fine."

  There was an awkward silence for a while before we spoke up at the same time.

"I'm sorry...."

We both smiled shyly.

"You first," he said.

"Why me first?" I asked.

"Because it's ladies first."

"Whatever. I just wanted to say I'm sorry for asking you that. I shouldn't have said that knowing the kind of temper you have," I added jokingly,to cheer him up.

"Haha," he laughed humorlessly. I hit the shoulder playfully.

"I'm sorry too, I guess I overreacted but that question really pissed me off. Thank your stars that you're a girl, if you were a boy, I would have given you the beating of your life. You're very annoying, yunno that?"

"I like the way you apologize, it's so gentlemanly,"I said sarcastically..

"Thank you, goat."

"Am I goat?"

"Did I mention your name? Did I say Jumoke is a goat?"

I hit his shoulder again. "Douchebag."

"The last time you called me that you know what I did to you. Do you want a repeat my dear Jumoke?"

"You wouldn't dare."

"See this one. If I vex now, you'll be sorry for yourself."

"Shut up! What's up with you and your friends?"

  He looked at them with sad eyes. Guess he really loves them so much. "I am a jerk."

"Yeah. I know that."

He looked at me. "You're looking for trouble now o."

I giggled girlishly, enjoying this little....should I say playful chat.

"Well, it's never too late to make a wrong right."

"Bayo!" He called. They stopped but didn't look back. "Bayo, Clinton, Lolade, you guys should wait now," he pleaded and he ran to them,leaving me behind. Idiot!

I caught up with him and exchanged pleasantries with them,to which they replied heartily, ignoring Jerome.

"Guys, I'm sorry." Jerome spoke.

   They looked at him like they were looking at a stranger, he has prolly never apologized before.

"Is this Jordan Jerome?" Clinton asked, adjusting his eyeglasses to properly scrutinize Jerome. The act was very funny,he reminded me of my primary school's headmaster.

"No, it's Adebayo Shittu. Stupid question," Lolade replied.

"I'm sorry. I was just angry at certain things, one of the reason is because of this chicken beside me."