Chapter 55 - Frosty Predicament, Bozeman Christmas (Kalenah Conrad POV) Pt. 11

Scotty is Ansel's brother. Peter is Ansel's cousin. He picked up that family in Utah. Remember? 

Chapter 55 – Frosty Predicament, Bozeman Christmas (Kalenah Conrad POV) Pt. 11

Then. "You can do anything you want in this world daughter," I smiled at my father, nodding my head. "Anything and anywhere," he repeats, "We may be monsters and have our true beasts inside but we are not restricted by that." At eighteen years old, I had heard my father repeat such words more times than I could count.

There was such truth to those words.

"You have to remain hidden, but that doesn't mean for our kind you cannot shine," this is part of the repeated lecture. It wasn't just for me, but my sisters as well. While everyone believed that my father and mother would continue having children until they created a boy to take over the den, they stopped after their third daughter.

"Many dens have failed, their men slaughtered and women and children gathered like sheep. I will not hand over my position to any man, because he is my son. Instead, I hope you all raise daughters that are strong and can lead. Young women that find and treasure suitors that is worthy of being invited to our den. We will be the superior den if we do not make the mistakes of those around us."

Antone – my father – did not raise weak daughters.

"So what will you study?" he asked again conversationally as I sat in our garden, applications to various universities rested between us. "I want to be a mother," I say softly, holding nothing back. For at this moment, with just ourselves to hear the words spoken, I could divulge my deepest darkest desires and my father would be my father not Den Leader.

"And how many children will you be having?" he asks laughing heartily besides me.

"I want to celebrate ten birthdays a year," I smiled looking straight ahead as his laugh grew deeper, unrestricted.

"What else do you want?"

I sighed, "I want to help people, even the humans that may reject us if they knew of our nature," I said in a softer voice. "I want to put smiles on people's faces. It doesn't have to be in a way where I gather notoriety either," I made sure to mention the last part.

"I want a good husband," I say even softer, "someone generous."

"Not rich?" He asks teasing me, we all were raised knowing the worth of a dollar, and how hard it could be to make money. Still, the amount of money I put into my garden was ridiculous. But I enjoyed the dirt on my hands, watching a new bloom each unique.

"No dad, not rich, not how you mean though," I snort back, "someone generous with his heart, his kindness, someone..."

"Someone that wants those ten birthday's a year," he teased.

Nodding, I agree completely. "Yup, those ten birthday's, that wants to be part of a den, someone that doesn't believe that we need to be monsters. That want's to help others dad," I say honestly a bit sad. Those qualities all seemed impossible.

Dad nods solemnly. "I traveled south as you know, gathering a few of those that sought us out," I nodded, he had returned from a excursion and returned with two new families. "Before I went to the families, I did have a meeting with Esteban," I tense instantly. While my father had remained a leader without dipping a toe in the most immoral and overly lascivious markets to do so, Esteban Serrano had not.

"He wanted me to offer one of my girls to his eldest son-"

"Well I hope you told him where he can expect that offer to be shoved!" I snap not entertaining the idea of becoming some type of alliance contract between two powerful den leaders, nor would my sisters travel down that depraved misogynistic road.