Chapter 50 - On The Road (Samson Conrad POV) Pt.4

Chapter 50 – On The Road (Samson Conrad POV) Pt.4

"Okay just one of you and Faith," Imogen bounds forward away from Fatima and I, going to where Luca stands with the new camera. After driving for more than a few hours, but only half way through our trip, we pull over to the side of the road when Fatima gasps at the view in that moment.

The spacious land behind us, covered with a light dusting of snow, mountainous and majestic. Smiling towards Luca and Imogen, my arms around Fatima I care less about the picturesque scene behind me, and more about the girl I'm with. Flushed cheeks replace the light olive tone on her face, and the intense focused expression on her face have dimmed.

She's in this moment, and I am with her.

When picture time is over, Luca and Imogen walk away on their own, wanting time way. "What are you thinking?" I ask her when Fatima's eyes seem to glass over. "I'm free," she murmurs quietly.

"It snowed when I was locked away, and it's silly, but when it did, I never understood just how cold it was. I mean... you have a freezer and you can try to imagine what this feels like," she waves her hand around, "but it's nothing like I thought it would be."

"Good or bad?" I ask wrapping her in my arms, after we've walked to a road rail guard. My chin atop her head, the both of us looking outward before us and when she rests back against me, I nearly purr. Embarrassingly so.

So much time passes by where we are lost in our own heads that when Fatima answers, I almost forget the question.

"Good. Definitely... great."

I try at each angle to put myself in Fatima's shoe, although, that normally comes with a good minute or so of unadulterated rage. At Dmitri, though it has lessened.

He went the wrong way to do the right thing. When Fatima starts bouncing in place and the down jacket she's wearing and my body around hers is doing nothing to keep her warm, we start heading back to the car. Climbing in the back with her again, "You should drive," she says, looking out at Luca and Imogen. They no more than we did; just standing, swaying from side to side slightly as they look out at the peaceful landscape.

Pouting I glare at Luca, though he cannot see me, "You don't want me back here with you?" I ask when I'm facing Fatima once again.

Smiling a closed lipped smile, she shakes her head at me, "Of course, but he's not our driver..." she shrugged, "Just maybe you guys take turns."

Huffing I see her point though, I'm not happy about it. Right now all I want is more of this. Of her resting her body against me, at ease, being so close that I can feel her heart beating.

Plus something has changed. I cannot exactly put my finger on it, but a shift has happened.

Sighing I jump into the front drivers seat, waiting for Luca and Imogen to come back. When they do, shockingly, Luca comes up front and sits in the passenger side besides me.

I stare blankly at him.

He must not be in his right mind, I conclude when I shift the gears of the car, slowly leaving this place behind, the moment experienced captured forever.

If he were, Luca would be in the back, with Imogen. Like I wanted to be with Fatima.

~ o ~

Just forty miles left before we arrive in Sun Valley, and Luca asks if I could merge off the freeway so he can go to a grocery store. When he jumps out, Luca turns to me, smirking. "Turnabout is fair game."