Chapter 50 - On The Road (Devin Rosario POV) Pt.6

So... Last chapter... I have been working towards that moment in this story for a while. I mean you guys have no IDEA, how many times I almost said nope. I didn't want to rush. So you've had a taste of sweet, now... here's a taste of crazy.

Chapter 50 – On The Road (Devin Rosario POV) Pt.6

"Do you love him?" Taylor demands, after we've hung up the phone and are frantically running around the room. Ignoring her, I stuff as much of my clothes as I can in my duffel bag, before rushing into sweats and pulling my jacket on. Grabbing my laptop and tucking it under my arm.

When she realizes I won't answer, still partially in shock and confused, she lets it go. For the moment I'm sure.

I just didn't understand what my parents were saying. It couldn't be true. Brennan and I... I thought we were slowly making our way back to one another. How could he just up and leave?

Hurrying, we sneak out of our dorms into the frigid air. The cold biting at my face, as salty tears slip down. How could Brennan leave me behind? How could Javier, my own brother abandon Taylor and I?

Once in the clear, Taylor and I hustle to Samson's car, me going straightaway to where dad said we'd find the key. The minute it's in my grips we throw our suitcases in the trunk, glancing around us for any one that might stop our departure.

But. It's Bend, we could make our escape and no one would be the wiser if it was at night. Pushing the key in the ignition, I hurry to put on my seatbelt, all while wondering what exactly was going on. I had called Brennan's phone a few times already and no one had answered.

As we leave school premises, and hit the empty roads, all the tears that I had been holding in, start to fall as gut-wrenching sobs leave my body.

"Shh, it's okay Dev," Taylor coos to me, but her words bring me little comfort. "Lets drive to the Conrad property, see if maybe they left a clue or maybe a way so we'd know how to get to them. I mean think about it, Samson left his car for us," she continues to offer me comfort. "He wouldn't have done that, nor would Ansel be okay to just leave us here. You know that!"

"Samson is still wrapped up in that girl Devin, but now that they've probably had to move because of the trouble she's caused, I think the Conrads will be singing a different tune. Samson left his car for us, if they didn't care for us, they wouldn't have done that," she repeats herself, changing the words but the underlying point remains the same.

As my body calms, and I only jerk sporadically, catching my breath, I think logically. First, why would they leave us a car, if they wanted to leave us behind? Maybe it all just happened so fast... I didn't think we would be leaving Bend until maybe next year after the summer.

Still... at the same time, maybe we were going to go with mom and dad, then join the Conrad's after.

Just as I pick up my phone to call dad, it buzzes, my father's face on the screen. Swiping to the right, I lift to the phone to my ear quickly, "dad?"

"Are you girls out of Bend yet?"

I nod, the residual jerk taking me at the same time. "Yeah, dad, what the hell happened? What did Ansel say?"

Why would Brennan leave me behind? How did we go from planning a future together to this? Just in July, I knew he was looking for an engagement ring, how could he just turn off all his feelings?

Rationally. I know him. I know he wouldn't just drop me without a second thought. We were each other's first love. I might have made a mistake, but it wasn't like I cheated on him.