Chapter 50 - On The Road (Samson Conrad POV) Pt.2

Chapter 50 – On The Road (Samson Conrad POV) Pt.2

"What do you need here?" Imogen asks when we've left the first house stopping in town at the local Wal-mart in Moscow, Idaho. With a new plan forming in my mind, I just shrug at Imogen. Going in with cash, I run over the list of things I wanted to pick up in my mind.

After thinking over Imogen's advice, I wanted to do something different for Fatima.

This was not a fun road trip, but there was nothing that said we had to get to Massachusetts stressed and falling apart.

Taking money from the suitcase, the minute Luca pulls up to the Wal-mart I jump out, keeping my head down as I enter the store.

This was stupid. Yeah completely weird. Steeling myself, I stride back to the electronics department, searching for what I needed. With each piece well put together, I job over to the crafts section, pulling things out without really looking at them. With a full cart after twenty minutes, I head to the cashiers, my ears reddening.

This was really stupid; I continued to repeat mentally, shaking my head. But in my mind all I could think of was how Fatima enjoyed taking pictures, and the fact that since we went to the Hot Springs, she had started a scrapbook.

Things that she had to leave behind.

As long as we were safe and looking out for one another, Imogen, Luca, Fatima and I could stop at different places, explore. It was one thing I knew Fatima wanted to do. She wanted to see the world, and there was so much we'd see along the way. And we were in the perfect vehicle for all the things I bought to work.

Still I felt silly for this- I blink for a minute just realizing there was something else I could get for Fatima.

"Uhm can you keep ringing me up, I just need to get something," the older woman nods, and I job back looking for the grocery store part of this chain. Quickly, I go and duck into each of the aisle until I find the one I'm looking for, eagerly pulling out a box of Chamomile, Peppermint, Chai and Black Tea for Fatima.

And of course once I got those I had to get thermo travel cups.

At first I grab just one for Fatima and myself, but sigh and grab two more of Luca and Imogen. Jogging with my hands full, I drop the items I added to the conveyer belt. Bouncing on my feet, I watch the touch screen cash register, taking in the steady growing balance as each item is scanned.

When she gives me the balance, I hand over the cash, grabbing my bags and placing them in the cart, before going on my way. Head down, face heated and utterly unsure, of my purchases, especially knowing I had an audience, I mentally push myself to go to the car. For the first time I sort of wished that I could see inside the truck, at least then I'd be able to read Fatima's face.

The bags weren't completely see-through, but they'd all see what I had bought. Each weird and silly purchase.

Avoiding eye contact, when the back door opens up, I start handing off bags and boxes. Not looking at the hands or dwelling on who it was, until the final box is handed over and I see Imogen furrowing her brows at me.

"What is all this?" She asks bemused, Fatima on the floor of the Conquest as well. The Nikon cameras box in her hands. The exact same one that she had purchased herself that was left behind.

Pushing the cart away, and hoping in the back seat, I rest opposite Fatima. "Uhm, I was – well Fatima – I just thought maybe you'd like to scrapbook this trip?" Okay, yeah... saying out loud now, it sounds dumb, I think ready to hang my head.

In the front seat behind me, Luca snickers, though he tries to muffle it, I know he's laughing at me. Fatima looks from the box in her hands back up to me.

As the seconds ticked by, I started getting anxious. "I know that you're probably busy in your head, worrying and – and so I just, thought maybe we could make more stops."

Pushing aside nervousness, I find the words I want even though I'm sure they aren't poetic or soft. "You were locked away for years Fatima. I just, when we really think about it, we cannot just put our lives on hold, say that when whatever is wrong now, is over and done with, then we'll have fun." I glance at Imogen.

"She – or her ghost – angel person," I exhale needing to calm again, "she was sent here to fix something and they've yet to do it."

Imogen pouts, and Fatima nods slowly. "And they've had a long time too," she adds. And it is those comments from her that really give me a glimpse of who Fatima is.

This was a road trip, what defined how it went was our choices.

"This is our adventure," I whisper, ignoring our audience. "When you were alone, you said you wanted to explore, try different things, and while we may not be able to stop everywhere, we can take a moment to enjoy ourselves... if you want?"

I was not the most eloquent when it came to my feelings, but somehow I knew that Fatima did not mind at all. She didn't want pretty words dressed in frill. She wanted honesty.

And my honesty was I was partly selfish. It was about Fatima, but underneath that need to make her smile with the items I bought, was the person that wanted her to keep a physical copy of our journey together. I wanted the memories because since the Hot Springs, I must have looked at the picture of us together a million times.

.

.

.

__________

© 2016 roxann_season All Rights Reserved