54 a letter to burn

♦ ♦ ♦

After going for a well needed run with Milo, we head back to the pack house. I expect to find Reign in our bedroom but she's nowhere to be seen. I shower and get changed into clean clothes before scouting the house for her, only to find her in our new and improved office.

Her eyes are trained on the desk, a piece of paper with a pen in her hand. I raise my knuckles to knock on the open door. I watch as her crystal blue eyes snap up to mine and she smiles, the corners of her eyes crinkling a little.

"Hi," she breathes out before pressing the pen down to the desk. "How was your run?"

"Overdue," I stroll into the office, shutting the door behind me. "And needed but it was fun. It's our turn next."

Reign flexes a brow. "To race you? I don't think so."

A heavy laugh rumbles from my chest as I inch closer to the desk, perching myself on the corner. I glance down at the piece of paper that she was just writing on, I can't see the words but I twist my head.

"What are you writing?"

She exhales a long sigh. Telling me that she's either up to no good or she's exhausted her mind with too much thinking. It's probably both but I wait patiently anyway. "A letter."

I hum and press my hand to my chin. "I can see that."

When she drags her eyes up at me, she covers the words with her little hand. "I don't want you to think I'm going crazy or something."

"I'd never think that," I shake my head. "Whatever it is, you can tell me. I'd never judge you."

Reign huffs out a sigh and pushes back into the chair. "Fine," she nods and pokes her tongue into the bottom of her lip. "I started writing a letter to my parents and my brother."

I stay silent for a few moments, studying her. When I don't respond immediately her cautious eyes find mine and she winces. "See you're worried about me now," she grumbles before covering her face with her hands.

"I'm not worried about you, Reign," I tell her seriously. "You can do whatever you want to do. I'd never stop that. I'm just thinking where has this come from, wanting to write a letter to them. Have you been feeling a certain type of way recently?"

She chews on her lips and lowers her gaze again, reading over her words. "I wasn't even going to send it. I just wanted to put my words down on a piece of paper. That way I really know how I'm feeling."

I nod. "Right. Okay. Then what's been going on?"

"Jenna said that to find closure I should write a letter, she didn't say that I should send it or I should go and hunt them down. But sometimes a letter addressing how I feel, without asking any questions can help to calm my mind, bring me closure that I will never receive because I don't ever want to see them again." Reign takes a large breath after racing through her words.