33 she's gone

♦ ♦ ♦

"You mean, you wish she was like Cleo?"

Jesse's question sparks my a new thought in my brain. I don't wish she was Cleo or like Cleo. I just wish things could be easier. That I could help her somehow. More than I already am. I want her to trust me but every step forward is then a thousand steps back.

It fucking hurts.

"I'm not saying that exactly." I sigh and lean back into the chair.

My head begins to pound, I want today to be over and for tomorrow to be a fresh start.

"Then what are you saying?"

I ponder for a second. What am I trying to say?

My mind races and I think back to what I said less than a minute ago. She acts like a teenager? She's mentally ill. I scold myself for being so ignorant with my wording. She doesn't act like a teenager, she's just lost in a world that she's trying to re-build around her.

I feel my brows scrunch up and I lean forward again, resting my elbows onto the table and sliding my hand over my face. All she needs is security. I want to give that to her more than anything. I promised I'd never give up on her and I still stand by my word.

She's shown me a side to her that I think no one has seen in a long time, if at all.

"No," I shake my head angrily at myself. "What I said was wrong. All of it is wrong. These last few months have been amazing. She's made such good progress with her mental health, with her ability to trust even a tiny bit. I know she's had a tough past and I feel guilty for getting angry at her."

Jesse chews on the inside of his lip. "But is she going to open up to you completely? Or is it just going to go backwards and forwards like this forever."

I turn to look at him. "She's trying," I say confidently. I know more than anyone that she's tried so hard to move on from her past. Find a new light in this life. "She's really trying and I admire that. She might have some hiccups along the way, but honestly? That's expected. I shouldn't have been so hard on her. And I shouldn't have said that I want parts of her to be different. I just want her to be happy with me."

He stares back at me, blinking. He definitely knows what I'm thinking.

It's obvious. Even my voice has dipped and my heart is completely on my sleeve.

"I've fallen for her, Jesse. I've completely fallen for her."

His mouth parts slightly. The room is silent for a few moments. "You're in love with her?"

I exhale a short breath of air, my lips curling at the idea. It warms my heart more than I expected it to. "God, yes," that feels good to admit. Finally. It's been on my chest for fucking weeks. "I've been in love with her for a while."