12 sleepy heads

♦ ♦ ♦

♦ ♦ ♦

There is a surreal feeling inside my chest when I gradually open my eyes, especially after having a dreamless, and nightmareless night's sleep. I can't remember the last time I slept throughout the night without waking up from intrusive thoughts and a racing mind.

But once my eyes are open I'm suddenly aware of my surroundings, and the fact I have my cheek on someone's bare chest.

That bare chest being Everett's.

Because this is Everett's room and I've somehow slept in his bed, snuggled into his side like we've known each other our whole lives.

Holy fuck.

I'm not in my bed, I'm not in my room and I'm certainly not alone.

I rip my head from his warm and smooth chest, a detail I didn't need to voice. My eyes are struck wide and I fumble backwards in the sheets. Everett stirs from his sleep at my awakening and stares back at me, clearly reading the expression on my face.

He's alarmed because he sits up and cups the side of my face, blue eyes dipped with concern and brows furrowed. I try to ignore the feeling of his skin on mine but I can't, there is nothing like it.

Those sparks can't be transcribed because you have to be the one experiencing them to understand how magical they feel. As cliche as that sounds, I was told this would happen but I was also told that my mate would be disappointed in me.

I will never be a good mate.

"What?" Everett's deep voice is sharp. "What's the matter?"

God, that voice. It shouldn't affect me this much but it does, it has since the second we met. But I tried to ignore the feeling, these voices in my head that remind me that no mate of mine would be happy with me.

They'd be disgusted.

My skin raises in goosebumps and Everett glances down at my arm, now cupping it with his vacant hand. I don't want to melt into his touch but I do, I physically can't fight it anymore because it feels so beautiful.

But I still have my doubts. I have my fears and I know that I can't let my guard down yet.

We barely know each other.

"Nothing," I swallow, shaking my head. "I just didn't know where I was."

Everett's perfectly defined lips twitch into a smile. He caresses my cheekbone with his thumb. "You're safe here with me, Reign."

Ugh, hearing my name fall from his lips is a thousand times better than Lily. I always hated it when he called me that, it was my choice but I did it to protect myself. The thought of anyone knowing who I truly am was terrifying but I guess opening up to Everett about my name proves that I'm trying.