Chapter 20

Sasha has never been so confused in her life. She thought the impact from falling off the bench must have really knocked the sense out of her. She has no idea what was going on. "Kai?" She managed to say. Kai was latched on to her and didn't want to let go. Sasha placed a hand on her friend's back. "You're really scaring me," she told her.

Kai only let go of half her body. She held Sasha while she looked at her. "YOU scared me."

They stared upon each other's eyes. Sasha couldn't help but frown. She wanted to understand everything, but nothing was really making any sense to her. "Sorry, Kai ha. Bangag pa yata ako. Medyo hindi ko gets kung anong nangyayari."

Kai took a deep breath. She knew it was going to take a while for Sasha to get discharged, so she led her by the bed and sat with her there while they waited.

Sasha frowned again when she saw Kai's face completely wet with tears. She leaned over towards her backpack and took out a couple of tissues, but before she could hand them to her friend, Kai had already thrown herself at her. "Kai, tinatakot mo naman ako eh," her voice quivered.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," Kai whispered.

Sasha wrapped her arms around her friend and gently stroke her back. She wanted to give her time and allow her the chance to let her know what was troubling her.

When Kai finally let go, Sasha handed her the tissue. "Thanks," Kai tried to smile, but tears almost blocked every expression she could have. Sasha gave her time and waited patiently for her to let it out. Kai looked at her again. "Alam mo ba," she began to say. Then she wiped the tears on her face. "I've never grieved for anyone as much as I did for you, kahit na I knew you were still alive from last I heard from my co-workers," she said. Sasha looked at her. Kai continued, "And that says a lot kasi we were in the middle of the pandemic; we were losing patients and co-workers left and right, araw-araw. I didn't have the time nor the energy to grieve for anyone even if I wanted to—pero ikaw—ikaw na sinabi naman sakin na na-transfer ka lang ng hospital, I honestly don't know why I was so attached sayo, pero sa lahat ng mga pasyente ko—ikaw lang yung iniyakan ko ng ganito."

Sasha looked Kai in the eyes. First, confusion settled on her face then slowly, she began to comprehend what was making her friend so emotional. "No," she said in denial. Her chest felt like it was going to explode. "No way," she repeated. She felt like she was dreaming. Kai nodded and let out a subtle laugh while crying. "No way," Sasha said over and over as if it was going to change anything. "Oh my God," she uttered breathlessly. Her jaw dropped open. Then she pulled Kai slowly towards her and gave her the tightest embrace she hasn't been giving anyone for the longest time. "Oh my God," she whispered again. The shock and disbelief finally settled after all the confusion. Then she hid her face on Kai's neck and started sobbing. Kai thought it was impossible to hug Sasha tighter than she already did, but nonetheless, she embraced her even more. The two of them cried silently together when they realized they have crossed paths before—and in a very significant way that none of them thought was ever possible.

"Sabi ko na eh. I tried to ignore this feeling na parang nag-kita na tayo noon, na I've known you longer than we've known each other, pero I dismissed it. Akala ko kasi sadyang may mga tao lang na magaan talaga yung loob mo sa kanila. I thought you were just one of them," Sasha said. She couldn't stop crying. She thought if Kai could only know how much this meant to her, it will probably blow her mind, too. Kai held Sasha's face and wiped her tears. "You made it," she cried happily. "You made it. I can't believe you made it. I prayed for you. Actually, I still do. Sabi ko: na sana kung nasan ka man, you're well, you're safe, you're happy and healthy," she told her. Sasha was not one to easily shed a tear, but now her tears kept pouring. "And here I am, I'm well. Salamat sayo. Salamat sa inyo," she gave Kai another tight embrace and they held on to each other for a very long time.