Chapter Thirty-Five

I scrubbed it again and again and again but it just won't get cleaned

I scrubbed it again and again and again but it just won't get cleaned. The stubborn bloodstains were starting to get on my nerves. 

I didn't go to sleep last night. I couldn't, I kept thinking and thinking and thinking about so many things, so, now here I was. Cleaning. I decided to tidy up the house myself. And for the last hour, I have been trying to remove the bloodstain from the floor.

Ugh!

Annoyedly, I threw the washcloth onto the stain and held my head in my hands. "I hate this..."

"Woah!" Scott strolled down the stairs, looking at me with confused eyes. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Cleaning..." I mumbled

He frowned. "Why?"

"Because..." I heaved a sigh. "I couldn't sleep... I just wanted to do something and turns out I suck at cleaning!"

His eyes lit up with amusement and he laughed "Niko has sent me your bank details, I'll hire a team of cleaners to take care of this, replace the furniture and I think it's time I buy a new cell phone."

Hearing his name did something to me like someone had stabbed me in my chest. Then I remembered that I promised myself that I won't cry for Nikolai Costello anymore. I will forget about him and focus on myself from now on.

No more lust-filled dirty thoughts about Nikolai Costello, Evangeline.

I nodded. "I'd like that... but right now I haven't slept a wink, I am so damn hungry, and I don't know how to cook."

A hint of a smile pulled on his lips. "Come on, we'll go out for breakfast."

I looked down at my dirty pajamas. "I need to take a shower real quick and then we'll leave."

He glanced at his outrageously expensive wristwatch, "Hurry while you're at it, I need to be at Niko's place in an hour."

I immediately got off the floor and ran up the stairs. I freshened up and wore fresh clothes that I had laundered myself. I dressed up in jeans and a t-shirt and went back downstairs.

"Yes, I stayed the night..." Scott was busy talking to someone on the phone. I decided to eavesdrop as I felt like he was talking about me. "She's not safe here alone. Security, Niko, lots of it. Yes. Yes. I'm taking her out for breakfast. I need to hire an entire household staff, Niko, trusted ones. I'll be there in an hour. Yes, alright," he hung up and put his cell phone into his pocket.

My chest constricted. I didn't think I'd ever felt this frustrated. Why was Scott telling him anything about me? I get it that he is his boss but he isn't mine and what I do in my life has nothing to do with him now.

I cleared my throat and Scott's attention turned to me. "How long have you been here?"

"Long enough," I answered smoothly.