04| Close contact

Please comment and vote! :)

P.S: Do listen to the audio as you read!

Finn's POV

"Ms Finn, welcome to 6 Infinite. "

I couldn't believe I was hearing those words. It seemed too good to be true! I couldn't stop myself from grinning ear to ear after the class cheered as a sign of acceptance. 

Based on what I had just encountered, this boy seems to hold a significant influence in the class. His peers are clearly affected by everything he says.

If I could win him over, maybe it'll be easier to win the rest over. I thought to myself.

"What's your name? " I directed the question to him.

"Kingston, " he said with a smirk on his face. One that made me feel that he's aware of my plan to use him to win the class over.

I smiled gently and started my lesson.

*****

1 hour later

The lesson delivery was way beyond my expectation. The students were paying attention and taking down notes. They were participating actively in group discussions and would raise doubts when they encounter areas they lacked understanding. 

Before I knew it, the bell rang. Now I am rushing to the indoor sports hall for my duty. This is actually a safety duty slot, whereby we have to ensure that the students play safely. 

By the time I reached, I was already 5 minutes late.

*****

Indoor sports hall

All you can hear right now are the sounds of the balls hitting against the ground, footsteps of students running around with their basketballs. They were all engrossed in their games. Here I am, keeping a look out on them, ensuring that there isn't any violent play. 

I was scanning through the whole , until I see a familiar figure.

Isn't that Kingston? Wow, he really is damn good at basketball, impressive! Oh wait, I thought he's supposed to be having English class now? What is he doing here? I thought to myself.

Ashton's POV

"Hey! Here!" I signalled to my team mates and they passed the ball to me, I dribbled the ball past my opponents, aimed for the hoop, jumped and shoot. The balled rolled a couple of rounds before falling through the net.

"Wow, looks like its the power of LOVE~~" Wayne commented with a suspicious smirk on his face.

I threw him a confused look as he signalled me to turn behind. The moment I turned, our eyes met. I could feel my face instantly heat up, so I hurried look away.

"Seems like someone isn't going to be able to concentrate anymore. Guess I am gonna win this game!" Said Wayne as he prepares to continue the game.

I brushed off his comments and forced myself to focus back on the game. 

As the game continues, I stole glimpse of her from the corner of my eyes and then, the unexpected happened. As I was trying to steal the ball from my opponent, I miscalculated our distance. 

He turned his body slightly, avoiding my attempt to steal the ball and elbowed when I was trying to balance myself after he dorged my attack. As a result, I fell hard on the ground, spraining my ankle. I closed my eyes as I felt excruciating pain on my ankle. I have always been confident of my basketball skill, never have I once made such a mistake. 

At this moment, I hoped there is a hole for me to bury myself.

Finn's POV

After helping to resolve a conflict between 2 students peacefully, I noticed many students crowding in the middle of the hall. Instinctively, I approached them. I saw a boy holding onto his ankle with obvious sign of pain surfacing on his face. With every failed attempt on standing up by himself, he hissed in pain. Despite his friends lending him a hand, he rejects the offer.

Such a stubborn boy. I thought to myself as I walked to him.

Ashton's POV

"Let me help you," I heard a voice and I opened my eyes to see a hand in front of me. I looked up to see who's the owner of the hand. 

To my surprise, Ms Finn is now standing right in front of me. Once again, I felt my heartbeat accelerating and I was lost for words. Hence, I just stared at her.

She squatted down to my eye level and continued, "I see that you're injured and was having difficulty standing up. Let's go to the medical room and attend to your injury before it becomes worse".

Then, she offered her hand again. Unknowingly, I held onto her hand for support to stand up. The moment our hands touched, I felt electricity flowing through my body. 

The exact same excitement I felt before every basketball competition.

*****

In the medical room

She helped me lay down on the sick bay before carefully examining my injury. She told me there's a slight swelling on my ankle and that she will be getting an ice pack for me. As she left the room, I tried to calm my pounding heart.

Upon returning, she gently placed the ice pack on my ankle while I looked at anything else in the room but her. She seems to have sensed my nervousness as she tried to strike a conversation with me.

"I saw the way you played out there, I am really impressed! " she said with a smile on her face.

I turned to look at her. Those smiles.

"Thanks. I have been playing basketball together with my brother since young. Both of us love this sport and Micheal Jordon is our idol!" I replied.

"Oh, you have a brother? Is he in this school too?"

"Yes, but he is graduating this year"

"By any chance, is his name Kingston?"

I looked at her with pure shock and nodded my head.

"Well, such a coincidence! I'm his new teacher! No wonder when I saw you, you looked so familiar. I thought I saw your brother," she said while scratching her head sheepishly,

Silence filled the air again. Just when I thought the conversation had stopped, she continued.

"I saw you rejecting your friends' help just now and insisted on standing up by yourself. Its good that you are independent, however sometimes it's also alright to rely on people, to depend on others, to accept help from them. Being helped doesn't mean you're weak. Also, God created so many people in this earth, it probably doesn't make sense if his intention was for us to be loners right? "

I could understand the intention behind her words. It feels that she understood me without really knowing me. As I looked at the smile on her face, I couldn't help but smile back.

"Alright, I think the swelling have subsided! But please refrain from doing vigorous exercise and see a doctor if you need to. Now, let me walk you back to class. " she said as she stood up and disposed the ice pack into the bin.

As I walked with her side by side back to my class, I realised 2 things:

1) she's my brother's teacher

2) I am really having a crush on her!

/ to be continued /

❤️