Chapter 29

Emily's POV

I looked at him in shock without managing to say anything. Did he regret it? I averted my gaze, gripped the cover tightly as my eyes welled up.

"Why didn't you stop me, Em? If I knew you were a virgin, I wouldn't do it to you. You probably wanted to keep it to the one. But I ruined everything." He stated sadly and ran his hand through his hair angrily.

So he didn't regret what happened last night. He was just worried about me?! I breathed deeply in relief.

"Don't worry. I wanted to wait till marriage and give it to my husband. And you are my husband. I don't regret it. I wanted it too." I said softly, blushing and gave him a reassuring smile.

"But I am not your real husband. It is a fake marriage. It must be so special for you; you shouldn't give it to your fake husband." He commented guilty.

I pressed my lips together, looking down. I closed my eyes, my heart arching.

Yes, I didn't expect him to declare his love the next morning we had sex, but I didn't wait that he regretted what happened between us while it was so special and euphoric for me.

Hearing his words were so painful. I cleared my throat and breathed deeply, trying to pull myself together. I lifted my head up and looked at him with a stoic expression.

"Don't worry, Cody. You didn't force me for anything that I didn't want. You shouldn't blame yourself about last night. I know we are not a real husband and wife. Our agreement is still valid. You shouldn't be worried about it as well. It was my decision. I am not a little girl; I am a mature woman. I can take responsibility for my decisions. So don't worry." I stated nonchalantly, trying to control my voice while my heart was aching and forced a smile. Then I got up, holding the cover around me tightly.

"Em..." He mumbled, looking at me sadly.

"I need to take a shower." I said without looking at him and went to the bathroom, avoiding his gaze.

I closed the door behind me and let the cover slide down my body while fighting back my tears. Then I looked at myself in the mirror. I noticed the hickeys on my neck and collarbone. I ran my hands over the hickeys slowly, lost in my thoughts.

"Be strong, Emily. You are not a little girl." I mumbled to myself and breathed deeply, closing my eyes. Then I went to the shower cabin.

After taking a shower, I wrapped a towel around my body and left the bathroom. My heart was pounding. I felt nervous.

When I walked into the bedroom, no one was here. I breathed deeply in relief. I didn't know how I would look Cody in the eyes. I felt embarrassed after his words. I felt like an easy girl who he managed to get into his bed easily. Probably, he thought that I was an easy catch even for him as most of the people said after the party. I smiled at myself mockingly while staring at me in the mirror.

Keep it up, Emily! Now, you became the person they talked about. I mocked myself with my inner voice. I shook my head, heaving a deep sigh.

Get a grip! Forget about what happened last night. Just move on! Pretend nothing happened last night! You can do it. I breathed deeply, closing my eyes. Then I went to the walk-in closet.

****

In my lunch break, I went to meet up with Jenna. I parked my car in front of the restaurant and got out of the car. After greeting each other, I ordered the waiter the chicken salad. Then we started talking as the waiter left.

"I have the news for you." She said, giving me a bright smile. I gave her a questioning look as I took a sip from my water. "I am pregnant." She announced happily and rested her hand on her stomach.

"Oh my Gosh! Congratulations!" I exclaimed cheerfully and hugged her as I stood up.

"How far along are you?" I asked.

"Two months. Toby and I are so excited." She replied, beaming at me.

"I am so happy for you two, cuz." I said, smiling.

I had been checking my phone time by time while talking to Jenna. I hadn't heard from Cody since this morning. He always called me during the day or sent messages, but today, there was no news from him. I sighed, depressed as I averted my gaze from my phone.

"What happened? Are you okay? Do you wait for a call?" Jenna asked in curiosity as she placed her knife and fork down on the plate.

"Umm... No." I mumbled and sighed, ruffling my hair.

"Cuz, are you okay?" She asked, placing her hand on top of my hand on the table. "Did that jerk do something bad?" She questioned, giving me a concerned look.

"Who?" I gave her a questioning look.

"That bastard husband of yours." She replied, rolling her eyes.

"No, we are fine." I mumbled and took a sip from my water.

"If the subject is Cody, I don't think so." She commented bitterly. "I still couldn't believe how you two ended up together. You are so different from each other. And he is an asshole." She added and breathed deeply, shaking her head in disapproval.

"Jenna, please! Cody is my husband, and I will not let you disrespect him." I exclaimed, annoyed. My voice was a little high-pitched. Her eyes widened in shock. I sighed, closing my eyes. "I am sorry, Jenna. I am fine. Really. I am just nervous because of my new project. That is all." I said, giving her an apologetic look.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed. I instantly grabbed my phone. I bit my lower lip nervously as I saw Cody's name on the screen. I breathed deeply and read his message.

'Hi. Dad invited us to the mansion for dinner. Are you free this evening?'

'Yes, I am free.'

'Good. I will pick you up from the company. See you.'

'See you.'

I placed my phone on the table and ruffled my hair, lost in my thoughts. When I looked at Jenna, she gave me an intrigued look.

"What?" I asked, giving her a questioning look.

"Emily, are you really in love with him?" She asked, surprised. "I thought you just married him because of your father. But now I am not sure." She added.

"Jenna!" I exclaimed, blushing.

"Oh. I can understand. Of course, you couldn't resist that bastard's charm." She commented, shaking her head in disapproval.

"Jenna!" I exclaimed angrily.