Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Chase's eyes widened the second those words left my mouth, and he reached forward to grab my arm, only to be yanked back by Victor. Victor quickly restrained his arms behind his back and kicked the back of his knees, forcing him onto the floor.

Chase grunted in discomfort and I looked around for something to tie his arms with for the meantime. My searching was cut short when a man stepped beside Victor with a thick rope in hand, immediately helping him tie Chase up.

"What are you doing, Amelia?" Chase hissed.

I ignored him and grabbed a piece of cloth from the floor. He continued to struggle against the men as I wrapped the cloth over his mouth and tied it behind his neck. I didn't miss the explicit words that left his mouth before I shut him up completely.

"Take him to the meeting room," I instructed Victor, then turned to the other man. "You, whatever your name is, I want you to go to wherever Steven is being held and also take him to the meeting room as well. You've got five minutes."

More noises were heard from Chase, but I just turned around to not look at his face.

Once the noise died down, I threw on my leather jacket and changed into some dark jeans, along with my combat boots. I headed downstairs and made it to the room with some other people. I noticed some recognizable faces—though their names didn't pop up inside my head. There were about ten people already inside, chatting among themselves.

My head turned backwards once a string of curse words left the mouth of a certain green-eyed man. I smirked once Steven was pushed inside the room, making him lose his footing momentarily in an ungraceful way. -He immediately glared at me when he saw me standing only a few feet away from him.

"You know, you wrinkling your face like that won't make you look any younger," I taunted, and he scoffed.

"Go to hell." He sneered, and I chuckled then walked away.

I stood in the middle of the room while people started pooling in. I ignored the grunts of protest coming from Chase, who struggled against the restraints by my side. I avoided all kinds of contact with him, kept a stoic face and stared at one spot on the wall across the room. Chatter filled the room as more people kept walking in and taking seats on the many plastic chairs around the room.

I glanced at my wristwatch and saw that it was already five minutes after four.

I made eye contact with Victor from across the room and motioned him to come to where I was standing. He complied and made his way to me, and once he was in front of me, I said, "Take someone with you and check out the whole place. I want you to make sure all the rooms and hallways are empty and that everyone is here. Once you're done, come back here immediately."

He didn't question my commands and walked away, taking a woman with him.

Soon enough, most of the chairs were occupied, and Victor--along with the woman--walked back into the room, giving me a nod. Victor stood by my side and I glared at everyone, bringing the chatter to a stop occasionally.

At one far end of the room stood Steven, his hands tied securely on his back. He was being held by two guards—with a third one pointing a gun at the back of his head.

"You might be wondering why I gathered you all here today," I spoke loud enough for everyone in the room to hear me. "I have very important matters to discuss, and the faster I get through them, the better."

People in the room exchanged glances while others just sat there in plain boredom.

I simply tucked my hands inside my pockets and looked at Steven. "I believe that you all know by now that your former boss over there"--I pointed to him--"calls himself my father."