Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Three weeks had gone by, and Gregory's warning still rang through my head. Surprisingly, yet suspiciously, he hadn't made an appearance after that day. Neither had Bryce or the gang. I should have been more at ease, but the fact that they hadn't done anything had me glancing over my shoulder every minute. Putting that aside, Chase had made remarkable progress in the past few days. Which was entirely surprising, to say the least. One could say that I was proud of him.

"What's on your mind?" Kenneth asked, taking a seat next to me.

I munched boringly on my sandwich and gave him a side glance, lifting my shoulders in a shrug. "Nothing much, just that it's very suspicious that Bryce and his gang haven't made another move yet," I answered simply and nodded toward an approaching Danielle.

"Hi, guys. What're you talking about?" she asked while taking a seat in front of us.

I took a bite out of my sandwich and shrugged at her, not really in the talkative mood. I kept eating silently, while they talked about random stuff that I didn't mind listening to.

Soon enough, Izzy walked inside the cafeteria with a cheery smile and walked to our table when she noticed us. "Hi!" she chirped and sat down beside Danielle. "How are you guys?"

"I was doing fine until you walked in," I retorted, taking the last bite out of my sandwich.

She looked taken aback and Kenneth punched my arm playfully, earning a smirk from me.

"Stop being so rude, Lily." He chuckled, and I shook my head in amusement. Danielle rolled her eyes at me and Izzy slowly smiled, finally catching up with my sarcasm.

"I still need to get used to your sarcasm," she said with a chuckle. "For a moment there, I thought you were serious."

"And who said I wasn't?" I asked looking at her with the most serious expression I could muster. Her smile immediately faltered, her cheeks flushing up slowly. The whole table went silent for a minute, and as much as I tried to contain it, I burst out laughing.

The cafeteria suddenly went silent, all pairs of eyes on me as I clutched my stomach, laughing loudly. "Y-You should've seen your face!" I laughed. "That's the best expression I've seen on you. Damn, I should've taken a picture."

Slowly but surely, the people around us went back to mind their own business and Danielle shook her head at me. I smirked in her direction and leaned forward to ruffle Izzy's hair. "Come on, I'm just playing around. Don't let my sarcasm get to you. I surely don't want to be responsible for any tears," I said with a grimace.

She chuckled a bit and cleared her throat, looking at me with a newfound glint in her eyes. "It's alright," she said. "Changing topics, do you mind if I ask you a question?"

"You just did," I retorted.

"Where do you live?" she asked, ignoring my comment.

"Nowhere," I answered without giving it a second thought, and she furrowed her brows at this.

"What do you mean? Don't you live with your father or something?" she asked, tilting her head to the side.

I felt how my shoulders tensed slightly at the mention of him, but I played it off. "He's dead," I said simply.

"Oh," she said, her eyes widening. "I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"Of course, you didn't," I said with an eye roll. The table went silent for a moment, and only then I noticed that Kenneth and Danielle were missing. They probably left in the middle of our conversation.