Chapter 10

Eve's POV

Yael circles around me, her eyes focused on mine. Her gaze is intense, predatory, and I can't help but feel like a mouse under a falcon's watch. I try to keep up with her movements, but it's difficult to predict where she's going to attack from. I can barely see her from the corner of my eye before she's already right in front of me, lunging for my arm.

I try to grab her wrist, but she's too fast. Her hand wraps around my throat, her other hand pinning my arm behind my back. I gasp as her grip tightens, my eyes widening.

"C'mon Eve, tired already?" she whispers into my ear, her breath hitting my neck.

My whole body tenses, heat rising to my cheeks. I bite my lip, trying to suppress the feeling. This isn't the time to get distracted.

"Never," I reply, trying to free myself from her grasp.

Yael chuckles, pressing her body harder against mine. "I think that's enough for today," she hums, releasing me.

I take a deep breath, turning to face her. She looks at me with a smirk, her eyes full of mischief. It's infuriating. "I'm not done yet."

Yael tilts her head to the side, raising her eyebrows. "We've been at it for 2 whole hours, you know, there is always tomorrow."

"If you're tired, just say so," I tease her, crossing my arms over my chest, but there is no change in her expression. Her eyes are steady on mine, unwavering — the way her eyes bore into mine, as if she could read my soul, my thoughts, my feelings...

"I'm not tired, but you're gonna regret pushing yourself too hard," she shrugs, her hands resting on her hips.

"I'm the one who decides that," I say simply, getting in position.

She shakes her head, taking a step towards me. "Fine, just don't come crying to me when you're sore tomorrow."

She moves quickly, her hand grabs onto my leg, making me stumble back, my body completely falling onto the floor. Yael's expression changes immediately, worry and guilt washing over her features as I hold the back of my head.

"Are you okay? I'm sorry," she kneels in front of me, her hand reaching out to touch my shoulder. "I didn't mean to—"

I grab her wrist, pulling her down and forcing her under me — she doesn't even have time to react before I'm straddling her waist, pinning both her hands above her head.

Her eyes widen. "That wasn't fair."

"All's fair in love and death, Yael," I reply.

"War," she corrects me.

"Is that how it's said?" I hum, my eyes fixed on hers.

A smile pulls at her lips, her chest rising and falling in shallow breaths. I can feel my heart thumping inside my chest, my skin burning from the contact of her body. I'm aware of every detail, every movement she makes.

She smells like lavender. It's overwhelming, intoxicating...If she were to kiss me, would she be gentle? Or would she make me forget my own name?

"Are you going to let me go?" she asks, breaking the silence.

I immediately let go of her hands, getting up from her waist, my eyes drifting away from hers. "You should shower," I mutter. "You're sweating."

"Do I smell?" she asks, not a hint of shame on her face.

"Yes."

She smiles. "Fair enough," she nods, getting up from the floor, just as a message pops up on her screen. She glances at it and then at me. "I guess this is the perfect timing to end this session then, I'd hate to pollute your air, Ms. Blau."

I run my fingers through my hair, trying to steady my breathing as I watch her walk away. I don't understand how someone can be so... tempting. It's maddening.

"Home, Ma'am?" My driver asks as I approach him.

"Yes."

I lean my head back against the seat, letting my eyes close for a second as he drives. "Did your trainer give you a hard time, ma'am?"

"She always does," I mutter.

"Why not return to the condominium gym?" He asks, I don't have an answer to that. "I'm sorry, ma'am, I didn't mean to intrude."

I sigh, immediately walking towards the bathroom once I'm home. I strip off my clothes, turning the water on and stepping into the shower. The cold water hitting my skin does little to cool my thoughts. I press my forehead against the wall, letting out another frustrated sigh.

Yael is attractive, there's no doubt about that, but I can't allow myself to get distracted. Not when everything I've worked for is finally coming together. I won't let anything or anyone jeopardize my plans.

The sound of my phone ringing distracts me, making me snap out of my thoughts. I step out of the shower, drying my hands before reaching for the phone.

"Hello?" I ask, answering the call.

"You might want to reconsider who you are picking for your play husband, Eve," Rena, my secretary, grunts through the phone.

"Why?"

"Word has gotten around that he's seeing prostitutes — pictures and all."

"We haven't made anything official, does it matter?" I hum, rubbing my face.

"He's going to taint your image, unless you think that this will be a one time occurrence. He's clearly not capable enough of keeping his affairs out of the public eye."

"I trust your judgement, Rena."

"Then please, listen to me when I say that he isn't the right fit for you," she says. I can hear the frustration in her voice.

"What do you suggest I do then?"

"You know, marriage for love is a thing, right? You don't have to marry some random man just because he fits your standards."

"It's not a real marriage," I say simply. "It's just business."

"I'm sure your parents wouldn't approve."

"They're dead," I answer dryly. "And so is their opinion."

There is a moment of silence between us. I can hear her sigh. "I'm only saying this because I care about you... you should try dating someone you actually like."

"I'll think about it," I answer simply, hanging up.

I stare at my reflection in the mirror, water dripping from my hair. Would my parents be disappointed in the person I've become? Would they think I'm selfish? Stupid? Maybe... I don't know.

But I do know that in no world would they approve of a relationship with a woman. Not only a woman, but a woman who isn't part of our world. A woman who works two jobs, is suspiciously attractive and skilled — in anything that doesn't involve coffee. A woman that is so low down the ladder, yet seems to regard me as prey.

Yael.

As always, thanks for reading, please vote and drop a comment. It will help me a lot more than you might think.

Also, follow me on Twitter and Instagram: shayzayit

Hey guys, if you enjoy my content, please consider supporting what I do on Ko-fi.com/ShayZayit (link on my profile), not only will it give me the motivation to write and create more but it will also help me get my books physically published (these drafts will always stay on Inkitt and Wattpad for free